Nitrate Sponge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamlo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All. I have quite high nitrate levels in my tap water, and I was wondering if I bought a nitrate removal sponge and then ran my tap water through it when filling up my bucket if then that would reduce the Nitrate levels? Don't want to go and buy a sponge and then it doesn't wok that well if you know what I mean. Thanks.

Hi All. I have quite high nitrate levels in my tap water, and I was wondering if I bought a nitrate removal sponge and then ran my tap water through it when filling up my bucket if then that would reduce the Nitrate levels? Don't want to go and buy a sponge and then it doesn't wok that well if you know what I mean. Thanks.
Hey. I have the same issue as you. My Nitrates from my tap is 40ppm. I honestly don't know much about those sponges but I considered two options. Planting the tank or using a product called Fluval Lab Series- Nitrate Remover. I opted for the plants and got an 'easy' beginner plant called WaterSprite. You can plant it or leave it floating. I am waiting for my new lights to arrive, so it's not doing great at the moment but I believe it's quite hardy, so hopefully it should be ok until my T5's arrive.
The fluval product comes in it's own bag and is placed in your filter. I believe they work best in a canister but could be used very easily in a HOB. It can be recharged, using a water/salt solution.
I believe there is similar product called chemi pure elite.
They are just a couple of options you could consider....

Back
Top Bottom