nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My nitrate is getting to the high level and I think that's why my betta is acting not good:( how do I lower my nitrate?

What are the water parameters? If the nitrates are really high then I would recommend at least a 50% pwc

NitrAte levels in an aquarium are only controlled with water changes and by heavily planting your tank (plants are still not a substitute for water changes). You will lose negligible amounts due to denitrifying bacteria converting it to nitrogen gas, but that loss is virtually unnoticeable.

The key is to perform weekly pwc's large enough to maintain nitrAte levels at or below 20. If your nitrAteis at extreme levels, I would have to assume you are not performing necessary aquarium maintenance.

How high is your level? Fish exposed to long term nitrAte extremes will need to have the no3 level lowered gradually instead of a massive pwc to reduce them all at once. I would do 20% pwc's over the course of several days to get your levels below 20.

I think it was at 40? But idk why since I changed my water yesterday, like 20% water change. I just tested the water this morning cause my betta doesn't look good. Its a 36 g bowfront planted tank

fishdud said:
I think it was at 40? But idk why since I changed my water yesterday, like 20% water change. I just tested the water this morning cause my betta doesn't look good. Its a 36 g bowfront planted tank

A nitrAte level of 40 isn't a concern although it's not as ideal as a value under 20. What are the symptoms the Betta is experiencing? Also, do you know your full water parameters of ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte (which we know), pH and temperature? Also, what type of test kit are you using?

Ammonia and nitrite are at a safe level, nothing there. Ph is at 7.0. And my betta is just lying there on the bottom of the tank, it looks lifeless and only goes to the top for air and it looks like he has a hole or something on the side of his face, hard to explain. Oh and I'm using test strips, I know they're not accurate but its all I got for now till my liquid kit comes in. Oh and the temperature is kept between 74 and 78

fishdud said:
Ammonia and nitrite are at a safe level, nothing there. Ph is at 7.0. And my betta is just lying there on the bottom of the tank, it looks lifeless and only goes to the top for air and it looks like he has a hole or something on the side of his face, hard to explain. Oh and I'm using test strips, I know they're not accurate but its all I got for now till my liquid kit comes in

There is actually a condition called hole in the head disease. It is most commonly due to fish being exposed to poor water quality for long periods of time. Your best bet would be to continue daily water changes using a quality dechlorinator like Seachem Prime during each pwc to ensure the tank is a clean environment. It may also be worth starting a new thread in the unhealthy fish section of the site to get some other opinions of treatment options. If you do start a thread there, make sure to include the same water parameters you did here, because it'll be the first question people ask...it'll save you some typing :). Good luck with your Betta.

Thanks:/ I don't think he's gonna make it. Nothing I can do now but you said poor water qualities, hmm my water has been fine for a long time. Its just today that the nitrate has been up. I've had this betta for a long time and never had problems with him. Guess Its time for a new one even tho no other betta could ever replace him:( but I will continue with the water changes

fishdud said:
Thanks:/ I don't think he's gonna make it. Nothing I can do now but you said poor water qualities, hmm my water has been fine for a long time. Its just today that the nitrate has been up. I've had this betta for a long time and never had problems with him. Guess Its time for a new one even tho no other betta could ever replace him:( but I will continue with the water changes

I'm really sorry to hear that :-(. I know how attached you can get to your fish. Have you made any changes recently like changing out filter media? Any major changes can disrupt the bio-filter and cause spikes in toxins that can lead to problems. Make sure you are never changing out filter media unless it is literally falling apart. Just swish it around in used tank water (not tap water) to remove the debris it catches. As long as you are doing weekly pwc's and keeping the tank tidy, poor water quality shouldn't be an issue. Just do water changes every day for the next while, and maybe he'll bounce back.

Sorry to say but he didn't make it:/ only thing I could do was just watch him die:( I feel like a bad fish owner. He was my favorite fishy and now he's gone. Weird thing is the other fish are completely fine. I would've preferred another fish Haha but to your question, no I haven't changed anything of the filters. I have two, an aqueon and aqua clear. I havent changed the filter cartridge for the aqueon cause it cause its still in good shape.

fishdud said:
Sorry to say but he didn't make it:/ only thing I could do was just watch him die:( I feel like a bad fish owner. He was my favorite fishy and now he's gone. Weird thing is the other fish are completely fine. I would've preferred another fish Haha but to your question, no I haven't changed anything of the filters. I have two, an aqueon and aqua clear. I havent changed the filter cartridge for the aqueon cause it cause its still in good shape.

Sorry about your fish :-(. Just get the quality liquid kit you had mentioned, do your weekly pwc's and all will be well. The fact you care so much shows you are a wonderful caretaker of your fish...and I'm sure they're happy to be there with you.

Yeah:/ I guess crystal clear water doesn't mean good water parameters blah anyways thanks for all your help. Its off to get a new one, he'll be missed a lot by me and his tank mates. But thank you so much for your help:)

Back
Top Bottom