Nitrates a lil high for my liking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm still having issues with nitrate reading, if I put it in front of the card it's dark if I hold it to the side of the card in front of the light it's light, maybe someone can help me with how to correctly read this and tell me if it's to high? I'm guessing 20-30 as 40 shows through the tube on the card but 20-30 is barely visible

I do dose 14 ppm weekly with my ferts as well and it's been 9 days since my last water change
Tests https://imgur.com/a/8tCVZ

Could be 40, could be 80 ppm. In any case, you are close to an unsafe level. 40 is ok, even 50, but not ideal. I suggest at least weekly water changes.

Could be 40, could be 80 ppm. In any case, you are close to an unsafe level. 40 is ok, even 50, but not ideal. I suggest at least weekly water changes.
I do 50% weekly, sometimes 1 50% 1 25%, my camera also takes dark pictures it's a bit lighter in person, I've always had issues reading nitrates per the test as my vision is red sensitive I guess, it looks orange in the light in front of the card it looks red

You said it was 9 days since last water change, hence my comment. I understand the color interpretation issue. I change water weekly and don't test often because I have learned from experience I am keeping ammonia at or near zero and nitrate levels low. I'd rather change water more often than I need than rely on tests.

You said it was 9 days since last water change, hence my comment. I understand the color interpretation issue. I change water weekly and don't test often because I have learned from experience I am keeping ammonia at or near zero and nitrate levels low. I'd rather change water more often than I need than rely on tests.
Yeah it's at 9 days because I have been I'll I usually do 50% every Wednesday, I am ocd on my tank I even measured from the gravel to the top to get 50% and marked it on the tank (dunno why), my nitrates before I started dosing thrive was 15-25 so I knew I was going to be in the higher side but was also told adding straight no3 is better than no3 accumulation from decomposing organics.

I'm doing my water charge right now actually so I'll test the water before I add thrive and see what it is and then I'll test after to see how much thrive bumps it up.

I’ve used the API NITRATE tests for about 5 years. Always subjective. They are suppose to be read put right to the side of your color test laying flat on the white portion. I read one time if it’s orange you’re still at 40 or less, if your tube is red it’s too high. I recently changed to Salifert Nitrate tests. I think they are less subjective. I tested with both the API and the Salifert and think my Salifert was easier to read with better definitive Results.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom