Nitrates and inverts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
How high is "high levels" of nitrates? I'm assuming over 20ppm?

I was dealing with high nitrates until I got a new skimmer and cut my feeding. I've cut my nitrates from 50 to 20 with partial water changes. My tank is looking really better than it has in a long time. Hair algae going away, purple coming back, fish seem much more active.

But, during my excitement about having my tank back, I ordered a new clean-up crew from reeftopia.com today. It will be here Wed. I will try to do a 10% water change tomorrow and one Wed before the inverts arrive - but, is 20ppm too high to introduce shrimp and snails (peppermint shrimp and a large assortment of snails)? Maybe I can cancel it if nitrates are still a little too high.

Thanks.

- skins

i dont think that level will be dangeris on the short term butt if i wer you i would up my pwc to 20% every other day till you under 10ppm and take your time aclimating them

Cool. So, get the numbers down as soon as possible, but no need to cancel my order?

I went nuts with this invert package and it's real pricey so I don't want to waste my money.

but, is 20ppm too high to introduce shrimp and snails
I'd say you are right on the edge. Above 20 is definitely not good for inverts, but IMO there is no need to cancel the order at this point. I would do a large PWC or two (20-25%) before Wed. to get the trates down some. Small PWC's take much longer to lower trates. HTH

I would strive for less then 10ppm for any inverts. 20 will be okay for the short-term but you do need to work on getting them down.

This is my secret weapon, my friend:

IMD%5C150%5CCP2151.jpg

One thing is, though, I used this as the last resort. I don't have the luxury of fuges or sumps. I only have 2 Powerfilter 60 (one is Topfin, one is Whisper) and a Prizm skimmer. I do have three good powerheads.

I tried doing waterchanges like crazy when my nitrates at one point hit 100 ppms.

I was able to bring it down to 20 ppms but no more.

I tried the product above and it a couple of weeks you will notice your nitrates dancing around 5 - 10 ppms. Finally, like what it guarantees in the name of the product, you will have zero nitrates with my setup because of this product.

Im interested in the long term affects of No3 treatments. If you read most closely they claim to lower ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. The reason the nitrates go down is because it is binding the nh3/nitrite molecules. This is turn leaves far less for your bacteria to break down and leads to an unnatural lowering of nitrate. My concern personally is what happens when you cease to use the product? I suspect that the levels return with potentially fatal side affects. Consider that if the beneficial bacterial recduce due to a chemically induced reduction in food then what will happen if the food suddenly increases..(Is it sane to answer my self?) I vote NH3 spike followed by a nifty nitrite spike and finally leading back to the original problem.
That said (Or theorized) I suspect as with any other chemical treatment as long as you are committed to its long term use (*If* this is all your going to do) things should be great. If you stop dosing/treatment and do not adjust your tank husbandry then I would expect it to be back with a vengance. Guess Im kinda old school on some things..Snake oil and all that ; )
I am interested in anyones experience with nitrate reducing chemicals and long term success. Please do post if you go this route so we can all learn something!

I am not sure of the validity of this, but read at your own risk. Do take note of the section regarding 'weaning' your system off the product. My interpretation is that they are basically saying you must change some aspects of your reef keeping. (Les feeding, water changes, etc). Anyawy, read for yourself. Enjoy.

http://www.simplifiedreefkeeping.com/faq/AZ-NO3.HTM

Peace.

You might want to read more on AZ-NO3. There's always a misconception that it is a chemical additive (kind of like Ammonia busters or what not) instead of organic additive.

This will give some more info on the product.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_additives_azno3.asp?CartId=

It's up to you to judge the product. So far, it's been very very helpful for me and all my corals, my fish, and my inverts are happy and thriving.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom