Nitrates and sick Ruby Crystal Peacock..please help. Out of ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccp2007

Aquarium Advice Regular
Let me start by giving y'all some info. I'm going to be very descriptive so it may be easier to help me out:

Tank Setup: 75 gallon (standard dimensions)

uzege7a8.jpg

Filters: Aqueon HOB 55/75 & AquaClear 50
-using Ammo Carb, ceramic rings, pothos and filter pads made for each

Powerhead & Air Pump: Aqueon 1250 with air stone under to create more oxygen and also using 6" air stone disc and bubble wand

Substrate: Pea Gravel from Walmart lawn and garden section. Just switched from sand about 2 months ago +/-

Plants: "aquatic Combo" (actually house plants bought from petco), 2 lucky bamboo, pothos (2 submerged and 1 in filter)

PH 7.8
NITRITE 0ppm
AMMONIA 0ppm
NITRATE 80ppm (we've been trying to resolve this problem for over 2 weeks now. Some of you may remember my post about nitrates and plants)

What we have done to try to resolve nitrate issue:
-Daily 30%+ water changes for 2 weeks strait
-Gravel vacuum every other day with wc
-bleach bathed 1/3 of gravel and removed a portion of the gravel to thin it out some
-Completely tore apart filters to check for any decaying food, fish, waste hidden somewhere (we rinsed filter media in aquarium water so we wouldn't kill off too much bb)
-rehomed 4 fish to reduce bioload
-rinsed decor
-added pothos to tank and filter

*this was NOT all done at once, it has been done over the course of 2+ weeks so we didn't stress the fish more than we had to*

Fish:
6" Jack Dempsey
6+" common pleco
5" yellow fin (moved last night to a separate tank temporarily due to aggression)
3" Ruben Red peacock
2" Ruby red peacock
2"Ruby Crystal peacock (*sick* will go into details further into post)
2 4" mbunas (re-homed to LFS)
2 3" jewels (re-homed to our 30g)
2 5+" Bichirs

Fish diet & schedule:
Sunday- AM: NLS full spectrum PM: freeze dried krill
Monday- AM: nothing PM- Nat Geo color enhance
Tuesday- AM: NLS f spec PM- frozen krill/brine or blood worms
Wednesday- no feed day
Thursday- AM: NLS ultra red PM: frozen
Friday-AM: Hikari carnivore PM: NLS F.spec.
Saturday- Sinking veggie pellets API PM: NLS

View attachment 11191

Ruby Crystal Peacock Symptoms:
-No balance
-Breathing heavy
-Swims nose down or sometimes head down
-White-ish poop
-white fluff on top fin tip

I have qt him in a small breeder box (so he's not floating around bumping stuff), added little (2 tsp) aquarium salt over the course of 12 hours, raised temp to 82°f

View attachment 11192View attachment 11193View attachment 11194

*not only are nitrates crazy but yellow fin has been a super bully*

*all other fish are acting fine and eating fine*

Not sure where to go from here. I hope I covered enough details to get y'all help. TIA

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1401645383073.jpg
    1401645383073.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 1401645451698.jpg
    1401645451698.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 73
Are your nitrates high in tap water out of interest?

That one looks a real tough one. All I can think to try is a lot of water changes (assuming tap isn't high nitrate) and reduce the water level to just covering him to take the pressure off and see if it makes a difference. No feeding.

Has he lost weight or been flashing? I can't see the white fluff and the white poop could be just upset tummy (?) so I'm loath to try meds. Did the problem develope after any tank change or new fish, etc, etc.

He floating belly up today and still breathing rapidly.
Our tap has 0 nitrates. We haven't added any new fish, only removed fish to try to get the nitrates under control.

No flashing or any other signs of distress. He was fine before we left because I fed them right before we left the house and he was just as active as always. We got home and I noticed him at the bottom corner just sitting there right side up. I told my hubby he was acting different and breathing heavy. Then just seconds after telling my hubby he was acting weird, he started floating and got stuck to the side of the power head. My hubby quickly got him out and we put him in qt in a small breeder box. We are starting day 2 now with no change besides he's floating instead of at the bottom....

My husband removed all his fish from his 75 and put them in a tote with a filter on the side and did a 100% wc. His water is now showing 20ppm nitrate. Hopefully it stays that way :what::confused:

Any bloating at all? Looked ok in pic but that seems very quick to go off and I'm wondering if he rushed his food or something. Would that make sense?

Is the salt you are using sea salt (NaCl) or Epsom salts?

Regular aquarium salt. I'm going to add just a tad of Epsom salt today to see if a "laxative" is all it needs

Thank you for the link. Very helpful. I'm glad I read that. I'll try out the salt bath so I don't effect any of my other fish

Not a problem, fingers crossed it works. Can you keep us posted?

I'm out of ideas otherwise if anyone else has a suggestion. I can't really comment much on the feed schedule.

He/she (daughter named it pinky pie) still hasn't relieved itself. I'll try again tomorrow but a little longer. I only did 15 minutes today. The link said 15-30 minutes so I'll try 30 tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll try the pea with a piece of Epsom salt in it...that is if it'll eat. I most definitely will keep y'all posted

Hi cpc.

It looks too me as though your nitrate problem is directly linked to the size of the stock, their bioload and their feeding schedule.

The best ways to keep nitrates low are as follows:

Under stock
Feed less
Add plants
Change more water
Regular tank maintenance

The most important of these are the top 3.

As for you sick fish. I believe this may have been caused by stress.

The reasons fish get stressed are.

Over crowding
Harassment
Poor water quality
Incorrect parameters
Incorrect temperature
Too much current
Incompatible tank mates
Poor diet
Changes to routine
Drastic changes to water chemistry
Poor acclimatisation period

If I were you I would reduce feedings. Throw so cooked from frozen peas in there.

See where the nitrates fall to after the reduction in food, if it is still too high try removing some more fish. For one, that 6 inch plec will be producing waste like a trooper.

You need to be aiming for <20 ppm nitrates by the time you come to do your weekly water change.

Hope all works out.

Pleco has been re homed as of 2 days ago, jewels ate now in a 30 and yellow fin is also re homed. Nitrates are at 20 so there's a good change, not perfect but getting there. Problem is fish still isn't doing well. Gave it an Epsom dip yesterday and today and no changes. He's still upside down, no longer floating, but at the bottom upside down. It's in a breeder box so it's not getting slung around by power head and to keep it from getting bullied.

Any suggestions on how to help my fish? That's my main concern right now...

Can you lower the water to just above the fish? How deep is he under water at moment. All I can think of to reduce pressure.

Edit - how does he look otherwise?

He is in a floating breeder box. He looks good besides being unable to swim. His breathing seems normal now.

I can't think of much else except lots of water changes now. The changing water (temp, TDS) may just perk him up.

How are nitrates going?

I have ordered some Nitra Guard, if you google it, it is meant to be very good, great reviews. Maybe worth a try. I too am over stocked in one of my tanks, I miscalculated the size of my tank, yeah i know, twit lol. Anyway i have high nitrates, so i have heavily planted my tank and am doing regular water changes, and waiting for the nitra guard, if it's half as good as what they say, i will be happy. I am currently cycling another tank, that won't be ready for at least 2 - 3 wks, then i can transfer some stock into that one. Good luck

Between stress zyme and daily water changes we have gotten it down to 20.

Back
Top Bottom