Nitrates level high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sieski

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a reading of less than 0.6 PPM on amonia before a water change. Most likely the dead fish I found stuck underneath filter. My nitrate levels have gone up and up since i removed it to 110. I have done 4 20% changes in 2 days no avail. Nitrites are 1.6 and hasnt moved in 3 days.

The nitrate test says if high nitrite reads are present then it might interfere with the itrate test.

I'm a bit confused at a loss and frustrated now. All the fish seem fine no unusual behaviour apart from that one fish. the fry are doing excellent too.

:confused::confused::confused:

The decaying fish likely produces a little NH4 burst and you are just going through the phases of the nitrogen cycle on a smaller scale. You might want to try replenishing/boosting the bacterial colony in your tank using Stress Zyme. It contains bacteria that neutralize both nitrates and nitrites. I add a maintenance amount (5ml per 10 gal) with every water change to keep the colony stable. This keeps your the colony healthy and happy too. Something might have gone off balance and may just need a little help rebalancing itself. I would not worry too much as your fish appear healthy and nitrates are not as bad as ammonias and nitrites. Just get some Stress Zyme or another bacteria colony culture and continue with your water changes and watching the levels for the next week until things stabilize. You could also try doing a bigger WC today (~40%) to get the nitrates under 80ppm and then continue with 20% changes and bacterial dosing daily until you see the nitrates in a more ideal range.

Remember that the bacterial are as much a part of your tanks ecosystem as your fish. You feed the fish, and you also must keep the basteria fed and happy. Dead fish do that too, causing a shift in equillibrium at times. More ammonia to convert and perhaps not enough bacteria to do so....balance that out again and you will be in the clear.

Also, is your tank planted?...some plants are good at balancing the nitrates, frogbit or duckweed for example. If not no worries....you should be under control fairly soon using the method I described.

I have 2 plants but not proper planting substrate? I'm planning on added potted plants 3-4 over the next week or 2.

My tap nitrates is 10ppm which isn't that high I believe?

Aquatic products

I have a bottle of that if thats what you mean by Stress Zyme?

Just do a series of large water changes until you can get everything under control. As long as your tank was cycled before, the bacteria should catch up pretty quickly. Stress Zyme and Cycle are snake oil products IMO and aren't worth spending your money on.

The thing to be concerned about right now isn't the nitrate level, but rather the ammonia and nitrite. I'd recommend several 50% water changes over the course of the next few days to bring those down.

I'm not talking about misuse of products, but rather the fact that I've never seen any evidence that they work. May as well save the money on snake oil products and go with a tried and true solution... large water changes. ;)

I agree with severum. Large water changes are the answer here. A good vacuum and water changes fix alot of problems. Most problems that I have had with tanks in the past are cause by stuff that just needs to get removed from the tank. Either in the substrate or the water. Stuff needs to come out not go in. Again just my opinion like so many others.... I dont like putting chemicals in my tank if I dont have to. At least try the larger water changes. It cant do any harm.

I will remove my post as it seems ignored...my original advice was a larger water change assieted by bacterial dosing not chemical dosing....just for the record. Sieki, if you still wish to have the info please feel free to email me.

Back
Top Bottom