Nitrates/Nitrites really high!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've been cycling since January 16 and my Nitrates/Nitrites don't even read on the scale! I've had it running with the heater at a temperature of 80 degrees, Is this okay & they'll come down or is something wrong? :confused:

Need additional information.

Are there fish in the tank?

What size tank?

What is the ammonia testing at?

Are you doing any maintenance with the tank? Partial water changes? Filter cleaning?

If you have fish in the tank, you won't for much longer if your nitrite is reading off the scale.

10 gallons US, no fish I've been fishless cycling, right now the ammonia is at 0, but i've been adding about a teaspoon when it goes down to feed the bacteria. No partial water changes yet, I've just added water due to evaporation. No other maintenance. It has an air pump and 15 gallon hanging filter

ok... good!!

Sounds to me like you just need to do a PWC to get your nitrites and nitrates down a bit. If they are reading off the scale, the cycle is probably stalled. Get them back on the scale, somewhere under 4ppm for nitrite, and 20ppm for nitrate. Readings that high will stall the cycle.

yes. but you may have to do some water changes if your nitrites spike that high again. I think you are really close! Change enough water though to get your nitrites down to at least 4ppm. 2 would be even better, and it isn't going to hurt your cycle.

Well the last time I tested it was about a week and a half ago, I needed to get a liquid test kit. The last reading they were high but not this high.

If you have test strips, which are not reliable, my suggestion is to buy the liquid API first, then read the true parameters,

No good idea to take decisions based on strips test

+1 for a big PWC. High nitrite levels can stall a cycle just like high ammonia levels.

+1 for the API kit.

Okay so I did two water changes, one on the 24th, and another on the 27th. I tested my water today & the nitrates/nitrites are the same, am I doing something wrong? or is it going to take some time for them to go down?

90% water change. Don't skimp out. You aren't hurting anything if you dechlorinate the tank first.

I wouldn't even bother testing nitrites until you get your nitrates back to a reasonable level. High levels of nitrates can give you false readings of nitrites. Do as suggested, a large 50%+ water change, and then re-test.

I did about a 70% water change, the nitrites were much lower, and the nitrates went down a bit to, I'm guessing another water change? or wait?

If nitrites drop to a "readable" level, wait, don't do another PWC, let's see if the cycle kicks again.
That is my opinion.

If your ammonia keeps reading 0ppm don't forget to keep adding.

Well the nitrites were just at the highest level 200ppm, the nitrates are still to high.

Yes I've been adding ammonia

Which test are you using? The API kit reads up to 5 ppm in the color chart for Nitrites!
I don't get it where are you reading 200 ppm

The nitrates read up to 160ppm...

Can you re check your readings, and let us know

Back
Top Bottom