NITRATES OFF THE CHARTS!! HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MickieFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Welp,, guess I figured out what was killing the fish!! I just got my nitrate kit (they were out of nitrite).. and it tested as high as it can go! I am doing 50% PWC right now.. what else can I do to get them to come down!?!?!?

How long has it been since you've tested the water prior to this time?

Whats your water change regiment?

Nitrates that high are usually caused by lack of water changes.

I wish I had talked to you before the 50% water change. You are in danger of killing your other fish. The parameter change will be to high as they have sort of built up an immunity to the higher levels.

Best thing to do when nitrates get high because of lack of water changes is to do daily smaller changes and gradually increase them.

Start off with 25% changes everyday for 3 days then increase to 33% for 3 days then you can do 50%.

I do 50% water changes weekly on my planted tank and 33% weekly on my other tanks.

This is the first time I tested for nitrates b/c I just got the kit. Can levels like that be caused by overfeeding? I do water changes every week. about 30%. I just did one 2 days ago. I did a 50% change b/c the instructions with the kit said to do it if the levels were that high. sheesh..

High nitrates can be caused by over feeding in addition to lack of water changes or lack of gravel vacs. I would continue to do daily 35 to 40% water changes.

How many gallons is your tank?

The smaller the tank the quicker nitrates will add up. Also how many fish and what type are they? A high bioload and messy fish will also cause high nitrates as will over feeding.

Ice- If you click on My Info under his name is shows the tank specs. I don't think it's from a high bioload but rather overfeeding or lack of gravel vacs.

Well. I do gravel vacs when I do my weekly water changes.. I admit to overfeeding a little bit. Or a little more than a little bit.. okay.. maybe way too much.. I guess it's kinda like the only interaction you get, and I want to feed them.. and my kids do, too.. then hubby gets home and HE wants to feed them.. but I guess that'll have to stop.. and quickly!! I think I won't feed them at all tomorrow, and do PWCs for a few days and see what happens. The fish all seem ok.. swimming fine.. no signs of stress.. thanks for your help, guys.

Something that you may want to consider, don't feed on the weekends. We do not feed during the weekend to help prevent the high Nitrate levels. Fish are fine going for days without food.

Ah you sound so much like I did about a year ago. I used to feed a bit several times a day, thought I was being kind. Found out I was not being kind at all! LOL, now a feed twice a day, small bits and there is no left over food and nitrates stay lower where they should be. It will make a huge difference, believe me.

NITRITE & NITRATE OFF CHART!

Hello everybody!

Im been doing a fishless cycle for the past 3 weeks close to 4 weeks. Got the nitrite spike about 1 1/2 weeks??
But am baffled now, am getting readings for Nitrite AND Nitrate off the charts! Nitri is at or over 10.0 ppm, and Nitra is at or over 200 ppm. Ammonia levels are at 2.5 ppm and am still adding about 4 ml? to the water every evening.
Is that a normal phase in the fishless cycle? or did I screw it up ????
:x

Thank you all.

You shouldn't be adding ammonia everday.

You should only add ammonia when you see that the bacteria ate what you added. I'd do some waterchanges to drop those readings down and not add ammonia till it reads 0.

The nitrite eating bacteria can't keep up with the ammonia you're adding.

You should also test your tapwater to see if nitrates are present in your tapwater.

Back
Top Bottom