Nitrates wont go down!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had this problem ever since I got the tank which was 9 months ago!!! I have 2 filters for my 40 gallon bowfront wit a 55 quitflow aqueon and and 30 quitflow aqueon. Stock list is
1- dwarf albino Senegal bichir
1- leopard ctenopoma
1- leopard pleco
2- Bolivian rams

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412110180.812606.jpg

These fish have been living in there for about 6 months

Wc routine?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The only thing to reduce Nitrates is water changes and maybe stock heavily on plants.

I would be doing lots of 50% water changes to bring Nitrates back under 40ppm.

How often do you use a gravel vacuum?

The only thing to reduce Nitrates is water changes and maybe stock heavily on plants.

I would be doing lots of 50% water changes to bring Nitrates back under 40ppm.

How often do you use a gravel vacuum?

Every time I do a water change scrape all the sand with the vacuum to get the poop and leftover food(which is often, they eat like pigs!) I guess plants it really the only option because water changes is not helping

Your Tank Water

I've had this problem ever since I got the tank which was 9 months ago!!! I have 2 filters for my 40 gallon bowfront wit a 55 quitflow aqueon and and 30 quitflow aqueon. Stock list is
1- dwarf albino Senegal bichir
1- leopard ctenopoma
1- leopard pleco
2- Bolivian rams

View attachment 251402

These fish have been living in there for about 6 months

Hello rock...

I don't think you have to worry. Just change out a good percentage of the tank water every week and this will maintain a steady water chemistry. The fish will get used to the routine and tolerate a bit higher nitrate level if it's natural to the tap water.

B

Hello rock...

I don't think you have to worry. Just change out a good percentage of the tank water every week and this will maintain a steady water chemistry. The fish will get used to the routine and tolerate a bit higher nitrate level if it's natural to the tap water.

B

Thank you very much. I assume if there living in it for 6-7 months they might've adapted??? Is that possible?

I mean... if they're surviving it than fine.. must be your tap water? Adding new stock may be a bit trying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

are you shaking bottle number two like it slapped your momma?

Long term exposure to nitrate levels that high will cause damage to the internal organs of fish. They wont have as long of a life span.

Whats the nitrate level in your tap water?

If the test is done improperly it usually gives a reading of 0

Have you tested water straight from your faucet to see what it has for any nitrate levels? (I apolgoize if you already covered this, I don't think I read through the whole thread).

Have you tested water straight from your faucet to see what it has for any nitrate levels? (I apolgoize if you already covered this, I don't think I read through the whole thread).

I've tested it from the tap and it have me 20 ppm... Which is pretty high

That is high :(

I'd say plants probably is the way to go then to start anyway, which you already said you would but i was just saying I think that is a good idea :)

I've tested it from the tap and it have me 20 ppm... Which is pretty high
If your tap water is onlyb20ppm then thats not bad. I would suggest cutting down on feedings to everynother day and bumping water changes up to 2 - 3 50% changes weekly until it goes down

If your tap water is onlyb20ppm then thats not bad. I would suggest cutting down on feedings to everynother day and bumping water changes up to 2 - 3 50% changes weekly until it goes down

Im sorry but I was rushing and didn't let it settle now the tap looks like 40 ???????.

Back
Top Bottom