Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cauterox04

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been cycling for like a month now I have zero ammonia zero nitrites and zero nitrates is that good or bad

A cycled tank has some level of one of these three. A tank that is still cycling will have ammonia and/or nitrites. A tank that is cycled has 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and some level of nitrates.
This however assumes that you have done something to start the cycle aka add ammonia or use fish. What actions have you been taking to cycle the tank?
Your tank just sounds like a tank that is filled with water, not a cycled tank.

You did not provide much information. Do you have fish already?

I've had 8 tiger barbs in there for about a month my tank is well planted two days ago my nitrite leved where really high I did a water change now there zero with my nitrates

Hello caut...

Cycling a tank with fish, generally takes a month. You're supposed to test daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, change 25 percent of the water, but no more. Large water changes remove more nitrogen which the good bacteria need to grow. My educated guess is, you're removing too much water and starving the good bacteria.

B

Hello caut... Cycling a tank with fish, generally takes a month. You're supposed to test daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, change 25 percent of the water, but no more. Large water changes remove more nitrogen which the good bacteria need to grow. My educated guess is, you're removing too much water and starving the good bacteria. B
so if the ammonia levels are at 4ppm, you change 25% of the water and you're at 3ppm, call it good?? I'd say change water until your below .5ppm, safe enough for fish but still feeding bb and cycling tank..

Yeah when your doing fish in cycling, you have to do huge water changes. Atleast 50% and preferably even larger. You definitely will be cycling for longer but you have to weight that against the health and well being of your fish. Small water changes really aren't doing much good for the health of the fish in a cycling tank

For fish in cycling you should choose very hardy fish. Those that tolerate marginal water conditions can easily handle higher nitrogen levels. By removing only enough nitrogen to keep the chemistry reasonably safe for the fish, you grow the bacteria quickly. A month or so completes the cycle.

B

Back
Top Bottom