Nitrite and Nitrate spikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sighack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a couple month old 10 gal freshwater with 5 black skirt tetras, a couple ghost shrimp, and 2 java ferns. I have a Marineland filter with a biowheel. Yesterday I added added a sponge filter. I also added some driftwood I boiled it a 3 or 4 times and removed all the tannins for about 20 -30 minutes each. But when I tested my water, the nitrite (N02-) levels skyrocketed. They have always been at 0ppm and now they are right around 4 or 5 ppm. My Nitrate (N03-) levels are at 5 ppm and my Ammonia levels have come down since I have last tested it. Is the high Nitrite (N02-) and Nitrate (N03-) levels due to the sponge filter becoming established? Should I do a 20% water change?

you should do a 50% water change, wait an hour and then do another 50% water change, also use Prime if you have it (water conditioner that will detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24 hours) you said this was running for a couple of months but either the tank was never cycled or its going through i pretty big "mini" cycle

after rereading your post i see that you stated the ammonia was starting to drop, to me it now seems your tank is just starting the cycle...the ammonia will start to drop which in turn will create nitrites, then those nitrites will drop and create nitrates (once ammonia and nitrites are at 0ppm and stay at 0ppm with nitrates being 5+ppm then you are fully cycled) not sure if you know all this already but in case you dont that is basically how it works.

you should do a 50% water change, wait an hour and then do another 50% water change, also use Prime if you have it (water conditioner that will detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24 hours) you said this was running for a couple of months but either the tank was never cycled or its going through i pretty big "mini" cycle

after rereading your post i see that you stated the ammonia was starting to drop, to me it now seems your tank is just starting the cycle...the ammonia will start to drop which in turn will create nitrites, then those nitrites will drop and create nitrates (once ammonia and nitrites are at 0ppm and stay at 0ppm with nitrates being 5+ppm then you are fully cycled) not sure if you know all this already but in case you dont that is basically how it works.
Its just weird that right after I added the driftwood and sponge filter I am seeing these changes. With the ammonia, It started after I added my fish, I thought it was possible from overeating so I added some Ammo-card in my filter to bring that down. I do have prime, and I already did a water change. I didn't do a full 50%, I did 30%. and will do another one in about an hour. After that what should i do next? Test the water levels? what is my course of action over the next few days?

Last edited:
good job on changing the water, that is good start...let me point you to this article since im not sure if you understand how cycling works, this will be able to explain it in more detail then i can and its about fish-in cycling which you have already started.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

after reading that if you still have further questions, just ask and ill try to answer or someone else will undoubtedly help :)

should I keep or remove ammo-carb?

i would remove it, has it may hinder your cycle due to the fact it might starve the bacteria of the ammonia it needs, instead i would use prime, its a water conditioner that will detoxify ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates for 24 hours.

it turns the ammonia to ammonium which is much safer for fish, and also available for the bacteria to use.

Back
Top Bottom