nitrite and nitrates high with fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi we have an 8 gallon biocube with damsel in it. Our nitrite levels were about 1 last night so we did a 2 gallon water change. Then this morning we checked it and it was about 3! So then we did a 3 gallon water change. What is going on? Also nitrate levels have always been high. We do have bioballs in the back could this be our problem? Please post asap!!!

Startsmart

The TLC's Startsmart & Tetra's Safestart DO NOT cycle your aquarium..... They merely provide some of the seed bacteria to aid in a quicker cycle.

If you have Nitrites, you are definitely not cycled. How long have you had this set up?

Bioballs are OK in a FOWLR, since the fish can handle some Nitrates, but if you're running reef, you'll want to get rid of those.

What are the SG, pH, Ammonia, and NitrIte levels?
Nitrates are tolerable to fish up to about 80ppm and to corals <5ppm.

So if this is a FOWLR biocube your NO3 readings are fine as along as your other readings are 0 for Ammonia and NitrIte.

Please click on the link in my signature to learn about fishless cycling. The bacteria in a bottle is always suspect.

I have not heard any good reviews on Startsmart for tank cycling. Just the opposite in fact, that it did nothing. It's very hard to keep bacteria that require Oxygen alive in a tightly sealed container. Please skip those and go with the tried and true methods of cycling.

Ammonia 0, ph 8.3, nitrite 3, nitrate 25. If it is not cycled then why do I have so much nitrates. We have used startsmart in our 30 gallon and it worked perfect.

Ammonia 0, ph 8.3, nitrite 3, nitrate 25. If it is not cycled then why do I have so much nitrates. We have used startsmart in our 30 gallon and it worked perfect.

Two thoughts..... You have the bacteria started that consume Nitrites to Nitrates, but just haven't colonized enough yet to handle the bioload. Second, what water are you using for your pwc's?? If it's tap water, test it. Many municipal supplies have Nitrates in them. If you have a reef & need 0 Nitrates, you'll need to use RO/DI water.

Ok that is what I was thinking just to much not eaten food but do you think it could be the bioballs also? And we are using ro water

NitrItes mean you have not completed the cycle, or you have exceeded the bioload that the tank can handle.

Bioballs are the perfect home for the aeorbic bacteria (ammonia > nitrite > nitrate), but not for the last (nitrate) part.

Keep doing water changes to get and keep those nitrite levels at 0.

Ok nevermind guys. I did a 3 gallon water change this morning (about 50-60%) and it did not do anything..... What do I do?????

Make sure you are testing correctly. Test again later you shouldn't test right after the change. Also make sure your cleaning the test tubes between testing.

Cycling takes time And you will see a little of everything for a while just keep it at a reasonable level. Aka ammonia below .5ppm

I did the water change about 9 oclock that night and then I tested it that morning around 9 in the morning. Is this dansaml going to die? He has been in there with the the nitrites around 2ppm for about 3 days now. Also we have 2 hermit crabs still alive......

I read that a higher water current rate can add to higher nitrate levels. Is this true?

No, the current has nothing to do with nitrite levels. That's just part of the simple nitrogen cycle.
The fish and inverts should survive, but nitrite does cause harm (search nitrite poisoning in fish).
Keep doing water changes. Also take a water sample to the lfs and have them test to be sure there is nothing wrong with your test kit.

we are going to take a sample to them tomorrow (they are not open sunday or monday). i just checked the symptoms of nitrite poisoning and the damsel we have is not experiencing anything like what it says. we did a 3 gallon water change about an hour ago because the nitrite level was still about 2. so hopefully, by morning it will be down some.

Was this a new system when you purchased it? Old Bioballs can be a nitrate factory if not cleaned properly etc.

Yes, we started this one ourselves. New bioballs and everything.

Back
Top Bottom