Nitrite Contamination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex_k9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm a newbie with a 20 Gal FW setup. I set it up about 3 weeks ago. Originally I had Fluval 2+ Filter [which will be removed eventually] but about 5 days ago I added an Eheim 2213 can filter. I do a 20% water change everyweek however my Nitrite level is >5ppm. At the current cycle how long can I wait to see a reduction in Nitrite levels?

The tank contains 2 neon tetras and I would like to add more fishes, how much longer can I wait to add?

It's simple, you need to wait until the tank fully cylces and the Nitrite & ammonia are at 0. By changing the water during this time is only prelonging the process. If you really want to succeed in the Aqarium hobby, everyone will tell you that patience is a must. Wait a while, you seem to have excellent filteration. If you cant wait, I suggest for you to add bacteria additives in order for the Nitrite reduce, then do a water change once it reaches 0 along with the ammonia.

Let me know also, what type of fish are you considering in keeping in that tank.

Not sure what fishes yet, I was considering some type of Angels [my family asked me to add the 'white gold-looking-fish with the red crown] but they will have to be plant friendly.

How can you tell when the aquarium cycles or how long is a cycle?

Alex_k9

You can't tell by looking if a tank has completed cycling or not. There is no set time period either, unfortunately. Something you might want to consider buying if you don't already have one is a water test kit that includes tests for (at minimum): pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Total Hardness (GH) and carbonate hardness (KH). Get into the habit of testing your water parameters weekly....and keep records.

In the Nitrogen Cycle, the following occurs:

Fish waste/decomposing plants, etc. -------------->release---------->Ammonia ----------->converted by Nitrosomonas into----------> Nitrites ---------> converted by Nitrobacter into -------->Nitrates

The tank will be finished cycling when the populations of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter have grown enough to reduce the levels of Ammonia and Nitrites down to practically zero. How long this takes depends on how fast the populations of the bacteria develop.

You can speed things up by adding the beneficial bacteria to your tank. A product called Bio-Spira does this for you...adding colonies of Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter directly to your tank. Unfortunately, not every lfs carries Bio-Spira. Another product that claims to do the same thing is called Cycle but I've read that it isn't as effective as Bio-Spira.

You can order Bio-Spira on-line or just wait a bit longer, testing your water periodically, until the Ammonia and Nitrite levels have reached zero on your test kit.

Ammonia level is 0, I use Cycle. Maybe I was overfeeding the fish, I removed all plants & decos, scoured the gravel with a syphon until the water level was halved once about a week ago. Maybe that was a no no. I guess I'll have to wait another 2 weeks

Coupla things Alex:

Yes, the tank is not considered cycled until ammonia and nitrites register zero, and there are some measurable levels of nitrates. Could take 2 to 6 weeks on average, and the bacteria which chow on nitrites are slower to colonise the tank (the multiply slower). However, you don't want too much ammonia and nitrite in the tank; ammonia burns the gills, nitrites compete with oxygen at the gills and both suffocate the fish. What levels are dangerous depends on who you talk to; personally I water change whenever either reaches .5 ppm. Yes, water changes will prolong the cycle but its better to have alive healthy fish then a completed cycle IMHO.

Now I have to admit I'm surprised that you have measurable levels of any nitrogenous waste considering you only have 2 neons in the tank. Thats a VERY small bio-load; I'm guessing you really overfed them then. If so, scouring the gravel was a good thing! You want to remove that rotting food.

Oh and FYI (yours too Fruitbat *grin*), its not nitrobacter thats the operative bacteria; studies done by Marineland have discovered nitrospira and nitrosospira are the ones which are the true cyclers (hence their product Bio-Spira), although nitrososomas still plays a part. Consequently, Bio-Spira is the ONLY product which works; Cycle does nothing (but may also be why your are registering nitrogenous wastes - I've measured a bottle which contained high levels of nitrates, others have measured ammonia straight from bottles of Cycle, so that may be where the levels are coming from).

Lastly, definitely get angels *grin* I'm a huge angelfish fan; have 6 in my 55g and I adore em! Let me know if you have any questions about em.

Just a note: You have 2 neons in your tank now. If you add angels - they will become their breakfast. Neons are the natural snack of angels in the wild.

Best of luck.

AJ

I did not know that having an aquarium was this involved --not that I don't mind. I recieved the Aquarium from the in-laws in Boston who themselves weren't exactly experts. I went to an LFS and the crackheads said just to check the pH [needless to say I haven't been back to that store].

The neons were just a test and initially there were 6. A friend of mine has a community of Angels and Neons [don't know if he has any neons LEFT though as I visited him last week]. If he's doing so well with them I might give them to him, if not oh well...

Must be a common answer for fish stores to warn you about the Ph and ignore everything else.

As someone who has just gone through this, let me see if I can help, although I am nowhere near the expert of Alvimar. In fact, that's who helped me get to wher eI am now.

First of all, buy a good liquid test kit. I bought a Doc Wellfish kit that tests for ammonia, nitrites, pH and a couple other things. Since the end of October, I have tested the water everyday and done a 20% water change everyday. I vacuum the gravel about once a week, but shuffle it around a little every day with the vacuum. It's become my morning routine LOL.

As I posted above, we finally got nitrates for Christmas. Literally, on Christmas day, my nitrite levels fell from 2.0 to 1.0, and today were down to .50. My ammonia has been a 0 for about a week and a half. I personally attempted to wipe out the goldfish and guppy population before I found this site, so the advice here definitely worked.

I think you probably need a few more hardy fish to get the levels working in the right direction. I didn't use any kind of bio product in my tank, and it does take a long time to get the ammonia/nitrite levels right, so be prepared.

It DOES take lots and lots and lots of patience and time. Dont' give up, even though you think it will never work. We went for almost an entire month without losing a fish (until an overfeeding incident when I wasn't home cost us a black molly). But since following the methods I stated above, we have been death free (not counting Molly).

Back
Top Bottom