Nitrite help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonessurf

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 58 gallon reef tank with 5 fish in it. Now I cycled the tank with bioballs in the sump and 100 lbs of Tatoka lr in it. I had perfect readings, and then I took some advice to get rid of the bioballs being that it would help me out in the long run. However that was 2 and a half weeks ago and my nitrites still read .25 ppm. Should this be a cause for concern?

a little bit, you should have taken them out in steps, how long were the bioballs in for? if you had them in to cycle the live rock might not have been totally seeded with life yet and thats whats causing the nitrite. just keep doing PWC to keep the nitrites low so you're fish don't die and weather the storm till they go away and you have fully cycled

Bonessurf said:
I have a 58 gallon reef tank with 5 fish in it. Now I cycled the tank with bioballs in the sump and 100 lbs of Tatoka lr in it. I had perfect readings, and then I took some advice to get rid of the bioballs being that it would help me out in the long run. However that was 2 and a half weeks ago and my nitrites still read .25 ppm. Should this be a cause for concern?

Hmm IMO getting rid of ur bioballs is like getting rid of all the beneficial bacteria. Did u replace the bio balls with anything?

It seems the fish are doing just fine with this. I check the levels every other day and it just doesn't budge. I did not replace the bio balls, and I left about 90% of them in there

I worry because of these guys too. I love these 2.

Attachments

• image-271408074.jpg
    image-271408074.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 118
Should I put the bioballs back in and periodically remove them slower to try and get things back on track? The tank has only been set up for about a month and a half now

Bonessurf said:
Should I put the bioballs back in and periodically remove them slower to try and get things back on track? The tank has only been set up for about a month and a half now

Yes I'm putting them back but y would u want to remove them? Unless u want to replace it with another of it's kind like (ceramic rings, ehiem subtract pro and etc) I will keep them in there because that's your primary source of biological filtration.

I heard bio balls and live rock give way to a ton of hair algae. It better to have just the rock

I think the reason for the algae is because bioballs are known as nitrate factories and with the extra nutrients and good lighting, algae starts to grow

Henry405 said:
I think the reason for the algae is because bioballs are known as nitrate factories and with the extra nutrients and good lighting, algae starts to grow

How about changing it to eheim subtract pro? But I'm not sure If it works well in a sump.

My tank seems to be doing a lot better now that I got rid of the bio balls from my sump. I have micro algae instead and it seems to be doing really well.

Back
Top Bottom