Nitrite issues!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaChi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wow my new Fluval spec V has been a pain in my :foot:

:n00b:

So water was fine...I had this tank nicely planted with some live plants and things have been running for a few weeks. I added a Butterfly loach and 1 armando shrimp along with a nirite snail to the tank (to get it started). Water parameters were FINE according to my tests (and Petco). All inhabitants were happy other than the loach not finding food (not sure how to feed him without trashing the tank bottom with messy food) everyone, however, was active and doing well.

Well tonight (20 days into tank set-up) my snail was fine but the loach was almost jumping out of the top of the tank like he couldn't breath it was wild! He would dart around the tank be near the filter outlet then stuck half his body out of the tank and jump to the lid. Next I noticed the shrimp had lost all color and was hanging out by the filter outlet also and doing the same thing.

I quickly pulled both from that tank and put them in others (mind you this tank killed my last loach and two shrimp for an unknown reason so this go around is number 2).
They seem to be doing a lot better in the other mature tanks (I hope they are alright) but I retested my new tank water and nitrites were HIGH.

-So I guess my tank is not cycled still?!

I read about an issue with newer tanks where high nitrites essentially suffocate a fish. They also suggested water changes to resolve...really?

So frustrating to keep putting fish in and out but obviously I want them to live. I read that 25% water changes over the next 3-4 days should take care of this but this is only a 5 gallon tank here...

-Is that too much water coming out too often for such a small tank?
I don't want to be removing beneficial (bacteria) tank water?

-Moreover, will this crap continue or ever occur again?

I hope (pray) this is a new tank issue and not something I need to continue to worry about.

I don't overfeed and always remove uneaten food.

I thought after the last batch of fish dying and the water changes I had done already that this tank would have cycled by now and this wouldn't be an issue...:banghead:

-Anyone else heard of this? OR know if this will continue to be an issue?

Thanks.

:fish2:

If the tank has been running for only a few weeks, most likely it has not finished cycling. Did you seed the tank's filter with filter material from a mature tank (this helps). Otherwise, it could take 4-6 weeks to complete starting from scratch.
A cycled tank can experience mini-cycles if the filter is severely disturbed and/or the live stock is dramatically increased.
Water changes will not remove the nitrifying bacteria.
Not sure butterfly loaches are a good choice for that tank. The require cool, pristine, highly oxygenated, moving water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A quick tip. If you already have an established tank, the quickest way to cycle a new tank is to add dirty media and run your new filter on the established tank for 3 weeks.

First off yes with a 5 gal tank you will need a 25% change at least once a week. Make sure ur water is declorinated it'll kill any bac.in there almost instantly. (The bacteria are not nesesarly in the water its everywhere water touches plants gravel fillers side of tank ect.) Get start right and follow directions can get from Walmart for like 6 bucks and it works. If plants don't have right nutrients or light or are over crowded they can raise nitrites pretty fast. Hope that helps a bit

Back
Top Bottom