Nitrite spike during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OscarFan76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 65 gallon tank that I am cycling with a 3-4 inch Oscar. 7 days ago we got a lfs to squeeze a couple of filters. We poured this gunk into our hot filter. The entire time before and since our ammonia readings have been 0.25 (same as tap). Wednesday we started seeing trace amounts of nitrite (0.25). Thursday it spiked and looked like 5.0. I did a 50% pwc and added some salt ( and prime). Friday it was again 5.0. After another 50% pwc Friday it tested 0.25 nitrite. The same thing yesterday and today. I'm a little stumped why the nitrite is so high when we have not seen much ammonia. It is huge daily spikes. The Oscar seems fine since I have been doing large water changes daily (70% today). The only other variable is we added Texas holey rock last weekend. I removed it today just in case it is the cause. I will test again in the morning.

Is this normal? If not, any ideas?

Thanks.

I guess with what the lfs gave you maybe the bb worked fast and you never saw it. Just keep testing and doing those wc. I have 2 oscars and love em!!!! I think the only thing the rock does is raise the ph!

Nitrite of 5.0 again this morning. I did about a 75% pwc. So it is not the holey rock. Just the cycle I guess.

Normal part of a fish-in cycle. Just make sure you stay on top of your daily testing & water changes- you may have to do this twice a day with nitrite levels this high. Feed sparingly until your tank is fully cycled. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the info. I will keep up the testing and pwcs. So far he's a happy Oscar.

He is about 4 inches in a 65g tank. No live feeders. I hear they carry diseases. Feeding cichlid gold. I've only had him 2 weeks but he has already grown.

Oh cool. My 2 are about 12" I feed live but only from a very good lfs!!! And I get down and inspect them before buying!!!

I've considered starting a 20g guppy tank for feeders when he gets a little older. Too busy fighting the cycle on one tank now. I think I may have to upgrade the tank this summer so I can have some other fish. Haha. They are beautiful but get huge. 2 12" must take a lot of space.

OscarFan76 said:
I've considered starting a 20g guppy tank for feeders when he gets a little older. Too busy fighting the cycle on one tank now. I think I may have to upgrade the tank this summer so I can have some other fish. Haha. They are beautiful but get huge. 2 12" must take a lot of space.

I've thought the same about the feeders but I think it'll be to much just to feed once in a blue moon. They aren't good for them all the time. I've got them in a 75 but am cycling my 150 now.

Haha. I did it. I went and picked up a 20g for small community peaceful fish. I will start with a male and female guppy right after the fishless cycle. I also got ammonia and a filter. I think I will cycle this one sans fish.

OscarFan76 said:
Haha. I did it. I went and picked up a 20g for small community peaceful fish. I will start with a male and female guppy right after the fishless cycle. I also got ammonia and a filter. I think I will cycle this one sans fish.

Cool. Do you know where to find the link to fishless?

Well 7 days after the nitrite spike in the 65 gallon Oscar tank, I am still in the same boat.

Ph: 8
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 5+ only goes to 5.
Nitrate: 10-20.

I've been doing 50+ percent water changes every day for the past week. Am I doing too much? One day I did about 75+%. I'm afraid these massive water changes are stalling the cycle. I had a guy at a pet store tell me today to back off the water changes and if I was worried about the fish to keep it at 20-25%.

Any advice? I'm afraid I'm going to be changing 40 gallons a day forever.

Thanks.

I just tested my tap for nitrite thinking maybe the source had changed. It is 0 but the tanks shoots up to 5+ daily. Looking forward to this cycle ending.

The nitrite phase can last twice as long as the ammonia phase. Have some patience & stay on top of your testing & water changes to keep your fish healthy through this. Can your lfs provide you with any cycled media or do you have a friend with an established tank? This will help speed things up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom