Nitrites and Nitrates up- Need help with ADF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Staceyr96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So today I decided to check my ammonia which sometimes can get up to .5 but today it was at 0. I was so happy. A few hours later I decided to check the Nitrite and Nitrate levels and they were up. I have had the tank for maybe a little over 2 months. For the last month and a half I have had no problems. I bought my ADF three weeks ago and he has always been happy. Four days ago I bought two nerite snails to liven up the place. Today, I decided to feed them an Algae wafer because I don't have enough natural Algae. Also noticed that they leave large amounts of grey stuff (kind of looks like dust) in many places. One of them, Dean, stays in my sunken ship and today I decided to check to make sure he is alive. When I picked up the ship grey stuff came out and there was a thin grey coat all over the inside. Just now I noticed the other one has left a trail of grey stuff. I would like to know what the grey stuff is and why my Nitrites and Nitrates went up. Ammonia- 0, Nitrites- .25-.50, Nitrates- 5 -20. I have really bad color sight so sorry I cannot be more specific, trust me it annoys the crap out of me. Please let me know if you think the snails caused it, the algae wafer caused it, or an uncycled tank. I do not think it could be the tank (ten gallon) though since I have not really had problems for over a month. Save my ADF.
Pets:
1 ADF
4 Ghost Shrimp
2 Nerite Snails

PS

I just checked again to see if anything changed in an hour. I now have no Nitrites but my Nitrates are about the same. What is going on :banghead:

Nitrates are the end product of the nitrification process. When your nitrate reading gets to around 10ppm then you'll need to do a water change. Don't let the nitrates get too high. You don't want any ammonia or nitrite in your tank, those should always be at 0 ppm.
The grey stuff is post likely the paint coming off of the ship and your snails are eating it. Unfortunately aquarium decor isn't the highest quality. The other grey stuff being left behind by your snails is poo. They poo and it will show up in the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

*most

Not post

Oh and your ADF will be fine as long as you keep the tank in order. I have one who lives in a 10g and he loves it. Make sure to give your ADF hiding places and a good diet.

Back
Top Bottom