Nitrites and nitrates.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Soooo I've been dealing with high nitrites and nitrates for two weeks now, been doing water changes and that has not help. They told me to test the tap water that I am using to see if there's no nitrites or nitrates, so I did and the only thing that I found was 0.50 on ammonia. But I don't have any problems with my ammonia it stays at 0. They told me to get live plans and I did, at the moment I have two Anubis and they give a nice natural look to my tank but they are not really helping.
Any suggestion on what I can do?
People say it's not normal to have high nitrites and nitrates and at the same time having 0 ammonia. Anyhow.
Hopefully you guys have some good advice.
Thanks
-Bri

Soooo I've been dealing with high nitrites and nitrates for two weeks now, been doing water changes and that has not help. They told me to test the tap water that I am using to see if there's no nitrites or nitrates, so I did and the only thing that I found was 0.50 on ammonia. But I don't have any problems with my ammonia it stays at 0. They told me to get live plans and I did, at the moment I have two Anubis and they give a nice natural look to my tank but they are not really helping.
Any suggestion on what I can do?
People say it's not normal to have high nitrites and nitrates and at the same time having 0 ammonia. Anyhow.
Hopefully you guys have some good advice.
Thanks
-Bri

if your tank is still showing nitrites your cycle is not complete yet. anytime your tank is showing ammonia or nitrite a water change is in order. The plants will only help with nitrates. Like I just told another guy, get some seeding material and jumpstart the cycle. If you get enough you can sometimes cycle the tank instantly

if your tank is still showing nitrites your cycle is not complete yet. anytime your tank is showing ammonia or nitrite a water change is in order. The plants will only help with nitrates. Like I just told another guy, get some seeding material and jumpstart the cycle. If you get enough you can sometimes cycle the tank instantly

What you mean by seeding material???

What you mean by seeding material???

sometimes fish stores run air powered sponge filters...you can use one of those, or they can give you a piece of a sponge out of one of their filters. Squeeze out all the gunk into the tank and float the sponge in the tank.

sometimes fish stores run air powered sponge filters...you can use one of those, or they can give you a piece of a sponge out of one of their filters. Squeeze out all the gunk into the tank and float the sponge in the tank.

Got cha. Thanks

OP - It would be helpful to provide details. Size of tank, occupants, how much and when they are fed, type of filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom