nitrites won't go down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clandon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

My tank has been cycling for nearly 6 weeks or so and the nitrites will not go down. The amonia went to 0 about 1.5 - 2 weeks ago, but the nitrites have been sitting at 5 or above ever since. The nitrates are between 80 and 160 at the moment. How long should it take for the nitrite spike to die down? What could cause the nitrites to stay so high? I've done pwc's about every other day if not every day for a while now. My mother gave me some floating plants (can't remember the name) that had snail eggs on it and there are about 10-15 small snails. Other than that, I have two sharks, 3 bleeding heart tetras and a few platties. It's a 29 gal.

ph 7.6
amonia 0
nitrite 5 or above
nitrate 80 to 160

Using the freshwater pharm test kit.

Thanks!

Just give it time. Since you have fish in there, keep doing your partial water changes. Something I noticed when I cycling, that seemed to help, was lots and lots of aeration. I don't know if this Actually helped, but it seemed to kick start things when I really got the water surface moving.
Just hang in there. It will cycle eventually.

Interesting about the water flow. Perhaps the agitation allowed more gas exchange? Makes sense anyway...

Anyway, with your nitrates getting high, it seems like you should start to see the fall here shortly. As mentioned, continue the PWC's.

Yeah, me too! I just keep on doing my water changes - there are 3 female bettas in there. They seem happy and healthy, but the nitrites just won't go down. They seem to hang around between .5-1, I think. (whatever that means. light purple. ) Ammonia is pretty much gone, though. No nitrates though. The tank (15T, AC filter) has been set up with 3-4 fish in it for about a month. Prior to that, I had just one female betta in there for a month or so, and the numbers never budged from 0-0-0.

The fourth fish is a female betta who just couldn't get along with the other girls. She's fat as a pig (I actually thought she had dropsy at first, and then she crapped like there was no tomorrow), and happy in her new 2 gallon gf bowl. I feed her less now.

an aside - I threw in 3 Walmart aquarium plant bulbs in there 1.5 weeks ago, and all three have sprouted. :D They are all about 2 inches tall now. fun fun.

Another aside. Now that it's hot, both tanks are hovering around 82 degrees. Is there anything to be done about that? I am trying to hold off on turning the air conditioning on.

X

Definitely do a lot of water changes, my nitrates always stay below 20! and all i do is a weekly 10-30% water change. Even though you are still cycling, your nitrates should never be that high!

Nitrates above 40 is not good. With readings that high, I would have to question how much you feed the fish and how often.

Hello,

I feed the fish in the morning and at night. I've over fed a few times on accident though. Should I just feed them a little bit, twice a day? or just once a day?

I'd do once a day. Not a whole lot. They should be slightly underfed. Now I don't mean to say to starve them. But where you are in the cycling process, I would only feed once a day. They will be perfectly fine. Fish can go at least 5 days without eating with no ill effects.

I've heard you can add a little aquarium salt to help combat possible nitrite poisoning as well. Just a thought.

Hello,

Thanks for everyone's comments. Just wanted to let you know that the nitrites have yet to go down. I'm wondering if I need to clean my gravel, I took the advice to not clean it until it has been completely cycles. Problem is, the nitrates are there in abundance, but they aren't bringing down the nitrites. I slowed down on feeding a lot and actually got rid of the two sharks and the platties I had. Would it be wise the clean the gravel, it's filthy.

thanks in advance,
-casey

Back
Top Bottom