Nitrogen Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1HellerofaGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I hope this gets read by the individual I'm seeking. I'm quite new to keeping an aquarium and this site. I've had my aquarium for well over a year, but I must admit I've been making a lot of mistakes. I'm looking to start up a second aquarium and I recall reading a very thorough and informative post on the nitrogen cycle. My problem is now I can't remember where I found it on here. Can anyone help?

My second issue is cloudy water in my current 55 gallon. I just purchased and API master test kit for my water. I'm sure I'll catch a lot of grief over this, but I've never been one to test my water. Knock on wood I've not had any fish health problems to this point. I haven't tested my water yet, but will my test results tell me if there's a bacteria bloom happening, causing my clouded water?

My second question is could my air stone make the water less clear because of the suspended air bubbles? I've had one of my air stones turned off for a few days but I see no difference in clarity.

Thanka in advance for everyone's help!

1H...

You can instantly cycle the second tank by just removing some of the filter media from the established tank and putting it into the new tank filter. Then add fish slowly to the new tank and test for traces of ammonia and nitrite, to make sure the bacteria is working.

As for testing the tank water in an established tank, you don't have to provided you remove and replace most of the tank water weekly. I keep several large tanks and never test the tank water. But, I change out most of the water every week, so there's no chance of dissolved waste building to a toxic level.

B

For the clarity of water issue, there are some videos on YouTube that show DIY water polish. Basically you just cut the bottom off a plastic water bottle, stuff it full of Poly Fil, you can buy a bag at Walmart for like $3 in the craft section. Next take the water bottle and stick the part you drink from on the intake of your pump. The Poly Fil will really help with clarity. With this setup I have also used a product called Clarity. Hope that helps

For the clarity of water issue, there are some videos on YouTube that show DIY water polish. Basically you just cut the bottom off a plastic water bottle, stuff it full of Poly Fil, you can buy a bag at Walmart for like $3 in the craft section. Next take the water bottle and stick the part you drink from on the intake of your pump. The Poly Fil will really help with clarity. With this setup I have also used a product called Clarity. Hope that helps
I bought some Clarity. Huge difference!

Back
Top Bottom