No nitrAtes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adangelo100

Aquarium Advice Regular
Be been cycling my tank for about 3 weeks maybe more and my ammonia zeroed out on Wednesday and my nitrItes have zeroed out but the weird thing is I had more nitrAtes in the beginning of the cycle and now I'm reading zero... I tested it with the API kit 3 times and shook the hell out of the 2nd bottle... I'm confused :/

Adangelo100 said:
Be been cycling my tank for about 3 weeks maybe more and my ammonia zeroed out on Wednesday and my nitrItes have zeroed out but the weird thing is I had more nitrAtes in the beginning of the cycle and now I'm reading zero... I tested it with the API kit 3 times and shook the hell out of the 2nd bottle... I'm confused :/

Strange, but since the ammonia and nitrites zero out, did you add ammonia back to reach 4 ppm?

Have you done any water changes? That would remove nitrate. Try shaking and banging both bottles (bang both on a hard surface a few times too), remember to shake bottle 2 for a full 30 seconds and the tube for a full minute. Nitrates only leave the tank through water changes so if you didn't remove any with a water change it must be a testing error unless you have a lot of live plants. Remember to keep dosing ammonia until you're ready to get fish. :) Congrats on completing the cycle.

Reactions: jlk
I should have mentioned its a fishIN cycle (had no idea what this was until AFTER I got my lil fishies). I do daily 10% water changes and test the water before I change the water.

Oh oops sorry I should have asked if it was fishless or fish-in. What size tank and what fish do you have? You might not get much nitrate; my tank is pretty full of small fish and I only get about 5 ppms of nitrate between water changes, your daily changes might have knocked them down some too. As long as the ammonia and nitrite stay at 0 you should be good to move to a weekly maintenance schedule of 50%. You can keep testing for nitrate just to see what happens and make sure they stay <20 between water changes. Depending on the size tank and number/type of fish you might not get much nitrate but you should get some.

I am way over stocked... I have a silver dollar and had two neon tetras all in a dinky 2.5 tank that all in all cost me a fortune... now I have 5 neons bc my friends tank somehow cracked... My 2.5 set up with the 3 fish was suppose to be temporary until I could afford a bigger setup... When I originally got the tank I had no clue about any of the cycling and the rules of stocking... Another reason I do daily water changes so the poor fishies don't get smothered in ammonia and other toxic things... I'm just so whole I have so many fish in this little tank and no nitrAtes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom