No nitrites yet? Longer post sorry :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youngfin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so heres my setup
29 gallons
Water temp: 78
Ph 7.6
Top Fin 30 (HOB)

I had set the tank up over two and a half weeks ago, I am cycling with fish and picked out 6 zebra danios. They all appear very healthy with no signs of stress that i see, very active, nice color on the gills ( no redness), no clamping of fins...they seem to have even grown a bit. I feed them two to three times a day without letting a flake go uneaten. I just checked the water quality about 20 min ago.

The results:
Ammonia: .25-.50 ppm, its somewhere in there not an exact match to either appers to be closer to .50
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

I had only just did my first water change yesterday as the ammonia appeared to be over 25 ppm. I changed about 15% of the water. I made sure to add water conditoner that removes chorine and choramine ( Nutrafin brand). I added stress zyme the day i got the fish and since then have added no chemicals to the water with the exception of the water conditioner. I know the cycling process can take up to 6 weeks but I was expecting to see at least a trace of nitrites by now...have I done something wrong? Is there something I could do to help the process along? I do not have acess to seasoned media unfourtunatly as i know this can be of great help :( Oh the test kit im using is API liquid master kit.Thanks for reading!!

UPDATE: After this post and doing a bit of reading on the fourms i just did an additonal water change of 30% which should bring the ammonia level below .25 ppm. Not sure if that may have been a little much,as I know the fish will have to indure some suffering through the cycling process, but I will do all that I can to keep that to a minimum...

Good for doing the extra water change! You definitely want to keep that ammonia BELOW .25; same with nitrites when they show and keep nitrates under 20 (you may not have these until nitrites show up).

Just keep testing the water daily and do water changes as needed. Nitrites will show eventually, just give it time. :)

Back
Top Bottom