No-Planaria and baby shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have my first shrimp tank. It is an RCS tank. One of my females just had babies (yay!) I recently spotted some planaria as well as something else that is tiny, round, and very fast. I am not sure what they are exactly.

Anyway I have read that planaria can be harmful to shrimp sometimes so I want to kill them but will the No-planaria hurt the baby shrimp at all? I know its okay for adults but are the babies at risk?

Also does anyone know how I might have gotten the planaria and this other little thing (any clues what it might be? I have seen it on the glass and the plants they are super tiny I cant get a pic)? I do a 25% water change every weel and I feed the shrimp in a little dish so I can pull out any un eaten food the next day.

Thanks for any help!

Planaria is normally caused by overfeeding or to much organic waste in the substrate. I think all shrimp tanks even if well cared for tend to get Planaria. I have scuds/daphnia, fresh water limpets and sometimes Planaria in all my tanks and I am OCD with keeping them clean.

No-Planaria is 100% natural and safe for all shrimp ( no matter the size ), fish and plants. It says so right on the package ;-) I've used it a couple times withl no ill effects.

Planaria is normally caused by overfeeding or to much organic waste in the substrate. I think all shrimp tanks even if well cared for tend to get Planaria. I have scuds/daphnia, fresh water limpets and sometimes Planaria in all my tanks and I am OCD with keeping them clean.

No-Planaria is 100% natural and safe for all shrimp ( no matter the size ), fish and plants. It says so right on the package ;-) I've used it a couple times withl no ill effects.

So these little unwanted critters don't mean I am doing something wrong? I am super ocd about keeping all my tanks clean and I havnet really ever noticed them in any other tank just this darned shrimp tank lol.

I read that on the package but I just wanted to be safe. I think the baby shrimp just hatched out within the week and they are super tiny so I didnt want to hurt them at all.

Is there a way to kill off all these extra little critters or should I not bother and just continue with my current maintence (as I said I feed in a dish so I can pull out uneaten food and do water change/gravel vac once a week)? Is there a way to be sure they are all harmless?

No you're not doing anything wrong, Planaria and shrimp tanks jut seem to go hand in hand no matter how much you clean them. If you keep with your current maintenance schedule the Planaria population will never get out of control.

I ordered my No-Planaria just to have on hand when I set up my tanks , the only time I have ever used it is when I had Hydra that came in on some plants I had bought. It did the trick on the Hydra as well as the Planaria. Over time the Planaria population has built back up slowly but I have never seen a shrimp death in my tanks let alone one caused by Planaria.

I have a brine shrimp net just for the purpose of planaria, nematodes, etc.. I net them out, put them in my Cory sterbai nursery tank and within 30 seconds, they're gone.

Back
Top Bottom