Noisy Aqua Clear 50. Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night I installed a new Aqua Clear 50 on my 20 gal.

It has been making this constant rattling sound since the moment I plugged it in. I realize they take time to settle, but it hasn't improved at all.

Does anyone have any remedies? I can't for the life of me understand how the Leveling Device is supposed to work. I assume however it might help when used correctly.

I suppose I'll take it apart and put it back together, but I'd rather avoid that.

My AC 70 is completely silent (I believe they use the same motor, just a different propeller). If you bought it at a store locally, they should have at least a 7 day return policy. AC will gladly compensate them. The last thing they(AC) wants is for their pumps to have a bad name on hobbiest websites (like this one!)

Let us know how it goes!

Otherwise, drain the filter, remove the head, make sure there isn't any plastic debris inside the pump, or attached to the impellor. It could be improperly balanced, causing it to rattle.

I have a brand new one as well. It is silent. I would take it back and let the store replace it or show you what is set up wrong on it.

I've been "naugty" too... I haven't shut off my filter since i got it in november... 6 months strong now without a cleaning of the impellor :-| I'll probably do it after exams in early may.

I'd screw the impeller/motor assembly off and make sure everything is seated well. Basically what sudz said. I've got 6 AC filters of different sizes and all mine are quiet. If the impeller gets off though it may rattle, or it could have some gravel or a piece of loose plastic or something stuck in there. I have heard mine really rattle when a piece of sand got in there.

The only thing that rattles on my ac 110's is the lid to the tops of them. They come loose from passing so much water through them that it sometimes will rattle them loose.

I agree, check your impeller.

As for the levelling device, it should sit perpendicular to your tank. The way the device works is as follows. If your filter should become clogged or overflow, with the device in place, itthe overflowing water will follow the outflow channel and go back into your tank, minimizing any damage to your tank's surroundings. Without the device in place, the filter is back-heavy and should an overflow occur, will continue pumping water out the back of the filter at an alarming rate.

For those without the levelling device (I believe aquaclear only introduced it in the last year or so) simply wedge a small piece of cardboard or styrofoam between the bulk of your filter and the rear glass of your aquarium, tipping the filter slightly forward for the same safety net.

HTH,
Tracy

Jeese, Thanks Tracy! I found that it was a bit less "rattly" with the pump tilted up (sloped away from the tank. I never thought of the concequences if the filter clogged up!

*readjusts filter *

My aquaclear is the quietest of my filters. the complete motor assemply can be removed, along with the impeller and all. if any more problems, jsut disconeet it all and put it back together, making sure to clean it.

Back
Top Bottom