Noisy glass/ceramic CO2 diffusor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

czcz

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I picked up the glass/ceramic diffusor sold by Dr Fosters and Smith, and its definitely attractive, but emits a white-noise-like sound when diffusing CO2. This is definitely the diffusor and not a leak before that point. Is this simply the reality of forcing gas through ceramic, or are other ceramic/glass diffusors quiet? (Or, at least close to quiet?) Hows yours in terms of noise?

Thanks.

I've seen at least one that was completely silent. Of course it was the one made by ADA. That stuff really is gorgeous, too bad it's so expensive.

mine emits about the same level of noise as say an older air pump would. Not to bad buy my tank is in the bonus room not our main living area.

I used to use the smaller ADA glass and ceramic diffuser. It was called the pollen glass. It was silent, but expensive. I did end up breaking it :( but it lasted for about a year. Now I use limewood airstones and they do make a hissing sound as CO2 goes through them, but it's not bad. Normal household noises (radio, TV, washer) mask it. I hardly notice it unless I'm standing right at the tank when it turns on.

I wonder if the ADA ones are silent because their tubing comes in straight at the bottom. The diffusers with the tubing connection at the top (then the glass pipe bends down and up to the ceramic) may make noise due to the bend in the glass as the CO2 is forced down and then up.

Thanks! Decided to just split it across two ceramic and glass diffusors. At lower pressure the sound is liveable. I also removed the diffusor from the glass and instead wedged it between some wood. Way messier (it collects poop and settled dirt) but hey, its quieter ;)

Back
Top Bottom