Noob needs a little advice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prediscus23

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I am relatively new at aquaria and need some advice on cycling,

I want to know what I need to be looking for at the beginning of the process.
I am running a 29 gal Bowfront fish-in cycle with a penguin 200 filter, and 3 Glowlight tetras.

I have been running for one week now and I need to know what is "normal" for this stage?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0

P.S. I also have a seeded algae ball in the tank from pet smart.... is this ok?....:popcorn:

Fish in Cycling

Hello, I am relatively new at aquaria and need some advice on cycling,

I want to know what I need to be looking for at the beginning of the process.
I am running a 29 gal Bowfront fish-in cycle with a penguin 200 filter, and 3 Glowlight tetras.

I have been running for one week now and I need to know what is "normal" for this stage?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0

P.S. I also have a seeded algae ball in the tank from pet smart.... is this ok?....:popcorn:

Hello Pre...

I've cycled a tank before with fish, but it was a 55 gallon tank and I used a couple of dozen Fancy Guppies. I don't believe three small fish is enough to get the cycling process started.

I would get some really hardy fish like Zebra Danios, Platys or Guppies and get a dozen or so fish total.

Anything from a clean, established tank will help with the cycling process, but the process takes several weeks.

While you're getting more fish, pick up a testing kit that tests for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. You'll need to test daily for these toxins and change a minimum of 10 gallons of water if you have a positive test.

Some floating plants like Anacharis and Pennywort will help with the process too.

Just some suggestions.

B

Not at all. It really depends on bio load, adult size, energy, and of course the size of tank will narrow down your options.

No it's not accurate. Every species is different and needs a little different setup.
Take this example,

In a 30 gallon the only fish you could put in there are 3 ember tetras? The "rule" may work for certain applications but in most situations it is inaccurate and untrue.

In my experience glowlights are pretty hardy, I'd stay away from guppies, again from my experience they are not as hardy. I'd up your school of glowlights to at least 5 or more since you already have some. I've got 6 in my 10 gallon.

I mainly got that glowlight tetras for my cycling process. Is the bio load that those fish put off too small? Should I go get a dozen gups?
And should I do water changes as soon as I got a positive result from any test (amm, nitrite, or nitrate?)
Srry for the onslaught of questions jus want to kno why Iam doin wat I'm doin.

Back
Top Bottom