Noob planning a planted fw pico rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Up Aqua Shrimp Sand is actually a very nice substrate. We're using it in the 60F. There's a thread somewhere on TPT that discusses Up SS and that it doesn't break apart very easily, doesn't leach ammonia, and buffers the pH.

I'll see if I can find the link... it's an interesting read.

Thanks Brian! Can't wait to read up on it.

I was planning on using the remainder of the SS in my 6-gallon tank but it probably won't be enough for full 2"+ coverage... any problem with a base of soil, like Miracle Grow, to add depth, then topped with Shrimp Sand?

I probably won't put shrimp in the 6-gallon right away, fwiw :fish2:

You should use floramax as the base layer and top that with the remaining SS. If there's not enough "cap" on the miracle grow, it can get very messy -- especially when you uproot plants for any reason. Plus, Floramax is very coarse and therefore, holds slopes very well for scaping. We actually use that combination in the 60F shrimp tank.

Oh, had to go back and re-read your previous post.. you can use that eco-compete if you don't return it instead of Floramax. They're essentially the same substrate. Floramax's 12lb bag usually costs about 10$ at petsmart though.

You can always hoard away any unused substrate for any future builds. :)

Oh, had to go back and re-read your previous post.. you can use that eco-compete if you don't return it instead of Floramax. They're essentially the same substrate. Floramax's 12lb bag usually costs about 10$ at petsmart though.

You can always hoard away any unused substrate for any future builds. :)

I was not sure if Eco-Complete would "keep" well after I opened it due to the bacteria-rich amazon water it's packed in... Also didn't want it to scratch my tanks up, Eco is basically volcanic rock crushed to sub-pea size.

Amazon will allow me to swap the Eco for another item, they have Flourite Dark or Black (dark is cheaper) but I will also look at Petco today (I have some returns for them)

Sounds good. I use EC/Floramax substrate in almost all my tanks with no problems of scratching. The only way it will scratch is if you're careless and get a piece of it under a scrubber sponge or something and run it across the glass. Otherwise, they're commonly used in this hobby with little compliant. But go with what you feel best with.

Receiving the SS today! Amazon Prime =1 day for me!
Will start rinsing the sand and then dry it to "play" scape the cube.

BTW, Brian, I did manage to work up a $50 order at Foster and Smith
2 x Azoo Palm filters (for $9 ea it pays to have spares)
2 x BioMax 20 media (to place in Azoo palm)
1 x Liquid Plant Packs Fundamentals Kit (3 x excel bottles)
1 x live nitrifying bacteria (to start cycle in cube)
1 x 500ml Prime
1 x small sinking wafers, future shrimp food item

It was quite easy to get free shipping... as you know

Yeah it's easy to get that 50$ mark - unfortunately! Haha

You forgot the flourish tabs ;)

So, wow... 3 Palm filters? Are you planning on another tank already (a la MTS)? Lol

Yeah it's easy to get that 50$ mark - unfortunately! Haha

You forgot the flourish tabs ;)

So, wow... 3 Palm filters? Are you planning on another tank already (a la MTS)? Lol

Flourish tabs = next order

3 palm filters = one on pico cube, one on shelf (or next pico tank) and one to return to amazon to get my $19 back :whistle:

7/31 Update with pics and video

Got my shipment of UP Aqua Shrimp Sand yesterday, yay!
HGUQ41-iuy8RGWThE3zMWKg9NB_kCVZaa20Rq3HpuXM=w756-h567-no

The consensus seems to be to rinse it to remove excess dust but I want to work with it dry to lay the scape in the cube, so I dry strained it.

Here is a video of me dry sifting SS, caution my voice may be hideously offensive, at least I think so :cool:

Using a double-screened kitchen strainer, OXO brand I think, I sifted the sand dry in small batches. The results were significant, possibly better than rinsing and definitely faster; it took about 7 minutes to sift one bag.
Q00jPJXBXiK1IGrZhCWdt_cz5L_aPm_r-3tg-BFW8Us=w756-h567-no

20130731_222900.jpg

I started by draining and drying the tank, carefully. I set the wood out to dry off a bit so I can position it in the sand without making a mess. Even bone dry it sunk so I am not worried about it floating when I fill the tank.
20130731_222937.jpg

Poured some strained SS into my tank and evened it out to about 1.5" or 3cm depth.
20130731_222210.jpg

20130731_222314.jpg

The Plan
At this point I am thinking about mocking up the layout of the tank, scape the terrain, and position the driftwood and rocks. I suspect I will have a only moderate slope, higher in the rear right corner and gracefully slope down towards the front left corner, about 3/4" total elevation change. I'm not sure the SS will hold more of a grade without a bed (read Eco Complete) to hold it in place.
20130801_064520.jpg

Once I reality check the layout, it's so much smaller in the cube than on paper, I will purchase plants. I was thinking about tying some plants (Anubias nana) and java moss to the DW; unless I find some xmas moss :)

The foreground will be sparsely planted Cryptocoryne parva or Echinodorus tenellus. The background will be Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae or a similar dwarf grass or sword. Not sure how much of any of that stuff will actually fit...

Here is a first pass at hardscaping:
20130801_072040.jpg

20130801_072105.jpg

20130801_072125.jpg

20130801_072209.jpg

After I finalize the layout, I will plant it, fill the tank w conditioned water, and run it for a week with plants before starting a shrimp-less cycle.

Any comments, suggestions or harassing remarks are appreciated :)

Last edited:
Nice update.. pictures are great!

Last time I tried Echinodorus tenellus, it was pretty tall in my tank. Made me wonder if I actually had the right species. Lol

For the sake of discussion on flora options, maybe some micro swords? Mini pellia or fissiden fontanus would be great alternatives to mini Xmas moss if you can't find it.

Well I've been stalled waiting for plants before I can fill my cube; I'd rather plant dry than work underwater.

I hope there are some good finds/deals at the scape meetup at NA tomorrow...

Quick question: can I fill and drain my cube bedded with shrimp sand and not loose any potency?

Also, with shrimp, should I avoid Flourish since it has copper sulfate? IIRC after trading label

You'd be fine filling and draining if necessary. You'd probably need to anyway after the initial fill to get the water crystal from any fine particulate floating from the sediment.

Yeah..I'm sure you'll find some goodies tomorrow. Sounds like fun! Let us know how it goes.

A little amount of copper found in aquarium ferts and food are so miniscule to not negatively impact shrimp, from what I read anyways. Shrimp actually have a copper-based blood-like fluid called hemolymph. So I believe they need a little copper.

No real progress to update, buy I met up with a few guys from scape yesterday over at Nature Aquarium... fun to meet a few local enthusiasts... thanks for the referral, Brian.

I picked up some c. Parva and perhaps will start with a few patches in the foreground, and perhaps some dwarf Sag in the background.

We will be going on vacation this coming week so I might plant, fill, leave and hope for the best... or wait to plant/fill till we get back... I won't start cycling the tank till we sill be around to monitor it daily.

Now, where to place the heater... decisions, decisions.

I wish they made a tiny heater that could fit in the back of any HOB and was powerful enough to heat the tank.

Back
Top Bottom