Noob with new tank syndrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samispeed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys I have a planted aquarium which has been running for around 2 weeks and I have 6 neons tetras in there and a few shrimp. I done a nitrite test and it indicated that it was high.
Just wondering how I can lower my nitrites and ammonia levels quicker.
I heard/read about the 'good' bacteria needs to be established in the tank and needs oxygen for it to grow. However I have injected pressurised co2 system
In there. Will that be a problem for my cycling in process. Please help!
Also I new to forums so apoligies in advance!

:welcome: to AA! :)

The only thing you can do is water changes and more water changes as many as you have to do to keep your levels right till it cycles. Almost forgot test and test and test too.

Andrew McFadden said:
:welcome: to AA! :)

The only thing you can do is water changes and more water changes as many as you have to do to keep your levels right till it cycles. Almost forgot test and test and test too.

Thanks guys. :D
So I just have to ride it out and do water changes. What you think 20% water change everyday?
Is there anything I can put to speed up the cycle.

Samispeed said:
Thanks guys. :D
So I just have to ride it out and do water changes. What you think 20% water change everyday?
Is there anything I can put to speed up the cycle.

You can use the bacteria in a bottle stuff but from my experience they don't work to well. Do you already have a cycled tank? Cause you can use part of the filter floss or whatever from that.

How high are your levels?
You may need to do two 25% a day to keep them under control. If they don't go down start uping the %

I think it's around 0.5ppm-1.5ppm. But I will double check when I get home. This is my first time keeping fish so I have no old mature filters :(
So water change is the only natural remedy?
Thanks Andrew!

People are going to chew me up for this, but you can find yourself a reputable lfs and get something called fritz-zyme. I had an ammonia spike not too long ago and freaked out. I went to a good lfs and the guy, who I trust, recommended this stuff. I bought it, threw it in the tank, all bad stuff was gone by the next morning. Tank has been perfect since. I'm not saying this will definitely work for you. I am not one to use anything but Prime. In fact, I am cycling a tank right now the old fashioned way with seeded gravel and filter media. But I would use this stuff again if I was in a bind. Probably not a good idea to buy online a it does need to be refrigerated.

Samispeed said:
I think it's around 0.5ppm-1.5ppm. But I will double check when I get home. This is my first time keeping fish so I have no old mature filters :(
So water change is the only natural remedy?
Thanks Andrew!

No problem that's what we are all here for ;)

Fritz-zyme?... Can I get that from uk?
What does it actually do?

See? Everyone will ignore, and these are the same people who used bio-spira. It's ok, I'm not going to be offended. I do not work for the company, nor am I a supporter. I was in a bind and I used the product. It worked for me. It's just a shame how the same people who say they will not support new "instant cycle" products will talk all these great things about DocTim and how his products work. They also use iPhones to post on this website. Fortunately or unfortunately, new technology has taken over. I am still going to cycle my tank old school.....because I love the hobby. But don't deny the fact that technology will change the way we do things.

Works like bio-spira,which many people here have used. You have to find a local person or someone else. It probably cannot be shipped as it needs to be refrigerated. How many people here have watched the show "Tanked"?

creic38 said:
Works like bio-spira,which many people here have used. You have to find a local person or someone else. It probably cannot be shipped as it needs to be refrigerated. How many people here have watched the show "Tanked"?

Hand up me me me me lol
But I don't understand your post above this post.

Why spend the money on something when its not needed? I don't get it, the problem here is the tank needs to finish out the cycle and imo its water changes that need to be done and the use of a conditioner if using treated city water.

Call me old school or whatever but I don't believe in adding anything to a tank at less its a must such as salt or meds. It's just my opinion but then again I've never really researched or tryed any other products nor know what any of them are.

And who is Dr. Phil I mean Tim ?? Lol :)

Last edited:
The less you add to your tank chemical wise the better. You don't need all that hyped up instant crap in a bottle. Don't waste your money.

In this hobby less is more. Maybe meds as a last resort otherwise water changes and patience will work just fine. Oh and testing....

Save your money for some nice fish or a nice night out.

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
The less you add to your tank chemical wise the better. You don't need all that hyped up instant crap in a bottle. Don't waste your money.

In this hobby less is more. Maybe meds as a last resort otherwise water changes and patience will work just fine. Oh and testing....

Save your money for some nice fish or a nice night out.

Thanks guys, you know what iv changed my perspective and now will just let the whole tank just do its thing.. I think 30% water change daily until my nitrites are low. What u think?
Is too many water changes bad for the fish? Sorry to ask stupid q's
I'm a noob!

You need or can do anything up to 75% at once. So you can do as many as you want in a day. As long as the ammonia and nitrite levels stay at 0. Anything above that is deadly to fish your nitrates shouldn't be over 40 for a long period of time. So 30 sounds like a good starting point after wait an hour and test again if your still showing ammonia or nitrites you need to do it again. If they don't seem to go down from that I'd jump up on how much you change.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
You need or can do anything up to 75% at once. So you can do as many as you want in a day. As long as the ammonia and nitrite levels stay at 0. Anything above that is deadly to fish your nitrates shouldn't be over 40 for a long period of time. So 30 sounds like a good starting point after wait an hour and test again if your still showing ammonia or nitrites you need to do it again. If they don't seem to go down from that I'd jump up on how much you change.

Hope this helps :)

Okay. I kind of catch your drift. Do as many water changes until my nitrites are indicating 0.
Baring in mind my tanks only been cycling for 2/3 weeks. Should I be expecting spikes in nitrites.
Everywhere iv asked and read said it should in time go down to 0.
Thanks again mate.

Samispeed said:
Okay. I kind of catch your drift. Do as many water changes until my nitrites are indicating 0.
Baring in mind my tanks only been cycling for 2/3 weeks. Should I be expecting spikes in nitrites.
Everywhere iv asked and read said it should in time go down to 0.
Thanks again mate.
Correct and the same with the ammonia. It will in time get easier you need to let the bacteria grow in the tank and filter. So if your filter gets to cloged up and the water barely runs out you need to rinse it in old tank water.

I agree with everything stated. I was in a bind and the product worked for me. I usually never use these products, but it worked for me. Most people on this site will knock these products and people like myself for using something like this.

Here is what I am saying.......I still cycle my tanks the old fashioned way. I am currently cycling a 10 gallon in hopes of breeding crs. Lot of aquarium owners who KNOW what they are doing can easily tell a noob to keep changing the water until the numbers are better, because that's what a good aquarist would do. Everyone is not a good aquarist. I am no pro, bit I have done TONS of research. I am also a realist. People will never be educated on how to care for an aquarium, unless they are someone like me who wanted to succeed. If I can suggest something that will save the fish that noobs throw in there day one.....I will suggest the fritz-zyme.

People are still going to wreck me, that's ok. I am not promoting a product, nor am I demeaning any advice in this thread or on this site. I am just trying to help the "new" generation of aquarium owners who don't know any better. An lfs will send you home the same day you buy a tank. These folks may as well be privy to something that will help the fish that they bought.

creic38 said:
I agree with everything stated. I was in a bind and the product worked for me. I usually never use these products, but it worked for me. Most people on this site will knock these products and people like myself for using something like this.

Here is what I am saying.......I still cycle my tanks the old fashioned way. I am currently cycling a 10 gallon in hopes of breeding crs. Lot of aquarium owners who KNOW what they are doing can easily tell a noob to keep changing the water until the numbers are better, because that's what a good aquarist would do. Everyone is not a good aquarist. I am no pro, bit I have done TONS of research. I am also a realist. People will never be educated on how to care for an aquarium, unless they are someone like me who wanted to succeed. If I can suggest something that will save the fish that noobs throw in there day one.....I will suggest the fritz-zyme.

People are still going to wreck me, that's ok. I am not promoting a product, nor am I demeaning any advice in this thread or on this site. I am just trying to help the "new" generation of aquarium owners who don't know any better. An lfs will send you home the same day you buy a tank. These folks may as well be privy to something that will help the fish that they bought.

Understood I just have no need or no clue what it is that's all.

Just feel sorry for the poor fish in there. That's what's causing this;they were put in before the tank cycled. Before you start a tank, you need to research, research, research. But some noobs don't have anyone to tell them that. I don't know anything about fritz-zyme, never even heard of it, but when a difficult situation arises, and you have a trusted lfs, then you might try something to help. I have. Almost all of it turned out to be junk, I said almost. I do everything old school now. Until the next very difficult situation.

Back
Top Bottom