Noobie aquarium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have two noobie questions lol, first is when I installed my filter on my tank when I set it up, I put the water suction part on the bottom as seen in the picture I attached is that ok, or is it supposed to be higher up, or does it not matter. And lastly I read on a forum about cloudy water that when the tank is just set up the water shouldn't be cloudy for more then a couple days until it clears up. Mine has been cloudy since Friday not very cloudy but cloudy. I'm waiting for it to cycle and when I set it up on Thursday I added tetra easy start bacteria and ammonia to it. So I didn't know if I needed to add clarifier or just let it go. I'm doing a fishless cycle with Ammonia drops.
Thanks for the help
Dan

Attachments

• image-799596224.jpg
    image-799596224.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image-3022951983.jpg
    image-3022951983.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 81
Hi there Dan! I would definitely try to raise the intake, the way you have it now is too low. I would try to get at least 1" off the ground. Also, did you rinse your substrate before adding it to the tank? Cloudy water can sometimes be attributed to un-rinsed or poorly rinsed substrate.

With gravel the way you have the intake is fine, or you can raise it up to 2" above the substrate. The main thing with intakes IMO is to get it as close to the bottom as possible without kicking up the substrate, with gravel this isn't an issue. As long as its resting on top of the gravel and not buried into the gravel it's fine

Ok thank you guys very much... Also my ten gallon aquarium that I had to turn the temp up on is smelling very bad it's smelling up my room... And when I walked over and sniffed the lid it was rlly bad. I just did a 50% water change which I have been doing daily(uncycled tank and treating ick ) the temp is at 87 and I just put in the algae wafers for my pelco I really never smelled it this bad before any ideas?

Ok thank you guys very much... Also my ten gallon aquarium that I had to turn the temp up on is smelling very bad it's smelling up my room... And when I walked over and sniffed the lid it was rlly bad. I just did a 50% water change which I have been doing daily(uncycled tank and treating ick ) the temp is at 87 and I just put in the algae wafers for my pelco I really never smelled it this bad before any ideas?

If it smells like sulfur then its most likely the smell of the added dechlorinator from the continuous water changes. If you don't know what sulfur smells like waft the smell from your water conditioner. Are you using prime? If its not that smell than what does it most closely smell like?

The water I use is from well so there's no chemicals in it... I haven't been adding anything except for stress coat because my water tested pretty good and my fish are doing well without any other additives... It smells like a very thick musty smell.... Idk if this also matters but when I did my water change it was a little lower then where it was previously. It's expire melt potent when you sniff near the lid... Will this hurt my fish... The tank is only been set up maybe a little over. Month idk if this matters... And my filter media I changed less then a week ago.

Hmmm I just thought of something, it didn't smell like this until I did my water change.. I just used a new bucket that I got from work which I cleaned out. It was. A 10 gal pickle bucket... I Rinsed it out with bleach to get rid of the vinegar smell but it still smells like pickle. However the water didn't smell and I washed it out numerous times... Could this have something to do with it... Idk what it could be, but it smells really really bad and it didnt smell like this 2 hrs ago when I did the water change.

whats the water out of the tap test ranges and what kind of filter do you have and you changed your filter media why ?????

Throw some carbon in ur filter should take away smell

Yea and you could also get a uv filter. They kill the smelly bacteria, some people will disagree. Bio filter will work to, carbon is the key mostly.

The lady at te fish store said change it every month. And she have me a 10 pack of filters to buy... So I'm guessing I shouldn't change it every month... It's a medium bio bag. Also I have to recheck the ph and high range ph were high .. And I'll look into a uv filter. I never herd about those before.

Back
Top Bottom