Noobie Asking For Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cormag001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello folks,

I apologize for the long post. I have really been trying my hardest to get my aquarium running and it has been a very frustrating and not nearly as rewarding as I hoped experience.

I have had my 37 gallon running for about 12 weeks now — the first 6 were for cycling and in the last 6 I have had fish. I tested my water every day and made sure my cycle was complete.

I have had immense trouble keeping my fish alive and well. I had quite a few deaths early on, but things finally seemed to be settling in. 10 days ago, I noticed my dwarf gourami was very idle and just sitting in the corner of the tank. The other fish seemed perfectly fine. I medicated the tank for parasites and then for bacterial infections. I took the carbon filter media out when I did both medications.

Now, after completing both treatments, the gourami does not appear to have gotten any better and now other fish are showing symptoms of stress and/or sickness.

I went out and bought a 10 gallon quarantine tank that I am currently cycling and cannot add fish to.

I have struggled to keep ammonia at 0 in the main tank — I think my cycle may have stalled while medicating. Anytime it gets above near 0.5 I do a 30-50% water change.

I notice my Danios swimming in and out of their artificial plants in a way that makes me believe they are itching themselves & I have seen possible “flashes” from them.

My cories have begun to be very idle and will often times swim horizontally along the glass — a change in behavior from the first four weeks.

I cannot see any physical signs on any of the fish aside from perhaps the original sick gourami.

37 gallon tank 6x Long Fin Zebra Danio 3x Albino Cory Catfish 3x Peppered Cory Catfish 2x Dwarf Gourami 1x Mystery Snail

Readings:
6.8 PH
0.25 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
5 Nitrate

Anytime ammonia gets near 0.5 I do a 30-50% water change and always use conditioner for the full tank size.

If you made it to the end, thank you so much. I could use any advice.

Back
Top Bottom