Not anOther cycle question! :S soz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quitters

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi im getting some cycled gravel to seed my tank could u help me choose where to put it please?

should i spread it out or put in the 1 spot? leave it at the surface or mix it in?

thanks heaps ppl

Place it in a filter bag and place it in your filter if possible. This is really easy with the HOB filter designs. You get the most water flow throughout the bag, and it will quickly seed the rest of your filter elements. I did this with a fishless cycle and my cycle lasted under 3 weeks.

justin

If possible, put it in a bag and put it in your filter, like 7Enigma says. The filter has the highest flow of water, and would make the most use of the colonized gravel. Colonizing the tank gravel by putting it in the tank is helpful, but not as efficient. If you can't put it in the filter, do as JC says unless you like the color and won't want to remove it.

To add to TomK2's post:

If you can't put the gravel in your filter I'd recommend putting it in a filter bag anyway and every couple of days squeeze the bag for a minute or two. I had left over gravel that I couldn't fit in my filter and had an extra bag in the tank. Every couple of days I would squish it and a whole bunch of cloudy material (bacteria or bacteria waste) would fill up the tank. In a day or so it would be clear again so I figured it was either settling on the substrate bottom or more likely if it was bacteria it was coating my filter.

Thanks ppl, the LFS did have the same colour just smaller stones but it looks fine i just spread it out over the gravel, wood and rocks and there was gunk in the bag which clouded the water so i should be sweet, thanks for your input!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom