Not enough swim room?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ones at petsmart are. That's why I get my bettas from chainstores. Number one, I don't really have any better places for them, number two, I like to see their happiness at being in a roomy aquarium.

Females are generally better behaved then males, but Elvis is a male rescue petsmart cup betta that was about to be flushed, and besides from a case of fin rot, he's been no problem yet! (knock on driftwood!):D don't leave the cup bettas out... Rescue one!

thanks for the advice! :D I was there today and felt so bad because they were all in little cups, also most of the other fish there looked sick. Guess ill make an exception on the betas, but im real scared to get some okay looking fish at petsmart and then bring them home and find out that theyre all sick with ich or something.

Bl414 said:
thanks for the advice! :D I was there today and felt so bad because they were all in little cups, also most of the other fish there looked sick. Guess ill make an exception on the betas, but im real scared to get some okay looking fish at petsmart and then bring them home and find out that theyre all sick with ich or something.

Some good rules of thumb are that 1. If there are any dead fish in the tank... Dont buy any fish from that tank. Come back after a new shipment arrives.

2. Ask how long the fish have been there. If they've just gotten there, come back in a day or two to let the weak ones die off, then buy them. Don't buy any that are more then 2 weeks old, as they've been more likely exposed to any diseases in the tank.

3. Have meds on hand. Aquarium salt, primafix, and melafix are essential to nip those nasty diseases at the bud.

4. Save the receipt. If fish die, most stores have a 14-30 day guarantee on the fish making it, so if they don't make it you can return it.

5. No impulse buys on fish. It's too risky that you'll buy the wrong fish for your tank.

Your taking this advice from a girl that's shopped at chain stores her entire life... It's personal experience that's supporting my evidence.

That's actually perfect for a 10 gallon! 6 neons for your mid/top dwellers, 3 ottos as a cleanup crew, and the betta as a centerpiece fish. Then you can go nuts with snails and shrimp if you'd like... As they have almost no bioload.

Actually neons, and most tetras that I know of, dwell in the middle/bottom. I hardly ever see one of any kind of my tetras up in the top, and I've read that is the case with them. When I first started with them I mistakenly thought they were going to hang out in the top and I accidently overcrowded the bottom of my tank. I haven't kept them in tanks as small as 10 gals though, maybe in that sort of space they would be near the top more.

You have a lot of fake plants in there so if you go with a betta, while they enjoy lots of plants, you'll need to make sure there aren't any sharp edges or pokeys on anything in the tank. Bettas fins are as sensitive as nylon to snags. Same with any decor you might use..file any edges that may rip the fins. Personally I wouldn't go with a betta if your plants are mostly plastic..they enjoy real and silk.

Some great choices for a 10 gal community tank with lots of plants are sparkling gouramis, dwarf gourami (only one), celestial pearl danios, mosquito rasbora, platties, scarlet badis, nerite snails (2 or 3 is good for a 10 gal I think), and red cherry shrimp or blue pearl shrimp. You could do a 2-3 oto cats instead of the snails if you would like, just make sure you wait until the tank has been established about 6 months before doing so and you'll have a better chance at their survival. If adding a betta I think ideal tankmates would be 2 platties and 2 ottos.

thanks for the advice homedog, itll help me a lot since the LFS around here are really overpriced.

well that wouldnt be nice for the beta, a few of them are a little prickley but the rest aren't too bad and all the rocks are completely rounded. I was planning on doing a 10gallon hex planted with a beta and some shrimp, I just really dont know what to put in this thing.

Well... You know what I'd put in it... Lol, but really, it all comes down to what you'd like! Do some research... (not on petco or petsmart's websites) and find some fish that you like! Then just ask if they'd be ok here, and get an approval from us, and you'll be set! That's how I stocked my 29 gallon.

thanks, im sure i'll figure out something :)

do you know of a decent place online to buy live plants?

IMO Otto cats are hard to keep, especially for a newbie :). I think the neons and betta is a good idea, if it were me I'd put 2 Siamese algea eaters, I love mine and they are awesome algea eaters (pretty darn cute too!!) just my 2 cents ;)

thanks, im sure i'll figure out something :)

do you know of a decent place online to buy live plants?

Hey take a look at franksaquarium.com. I just placed an order with him yesterday for some nano-fish for a small tank like yours. He seels some harder to find fish that are great for small tanks.

IMO Otto cats are hard to keep, especially for a newbie :). I think the neons and betta is a good idea, if it were me I'd put 2 Siamese algea eaters, I love mine and they are awesome algea eaters (pretty darn cute too!!) just my 2 cents ;)

Oto's should be added once the tank has been established for atleast 6 months. IMO rushing it is why so many newbies have issues with them....they can end up staving to death.

SAE get waaay too big for a 10 gal tank. It's also a better idea to have either one or a school of them because with just two once they mature they often fight over territory.

this forum is so great because everyone has their own ideas and actually helps people, i love it :D

yeah, I just read last night that ottos are for like 20g+, so I'd be nervous putting them in this little thing.

thanks siva i'll haveta check them out :p

+1 on being careful about otos. They need nice, green algae to thrive and they need to eat until their bellies are plump...

siva said:
Oto's should be added once the tank has been established for atleast 6 months. IMO rushing it is why so many newbies have issues with them....they can end up staving to death.

SAE get waaay too big for a 10 gal tank. It's also a better idea to have either one or a school of them because with just two once they mature they often fight over territory.

I still would get one SAE vs an Otto. I have 2 SAE in my 44 g, however have lots of driftwood and live plants. They each have their own territory. They really do a good job keeping my tank algea free (especially the plants :)

I still would get one SAE vs an Otto. I have 2 SAE in my 44 g, however have lots of driftwood and live plants. They each have their own territory. They really do a good job keeping my tank algea free (especially the plants :)

Well I would not get any potentially 6" fish for a 10 gal tank. I think that's cruel. JMO

Sorry dude but their max size is not 6in it's 2...I double checked to be sure.

EDIT * my mistake you are correct on the 6" max size...sorry :)

Dudette is more like it ;)

They typically won't exceed 4" but some will, and IMO 4" is too large for a 10 gal as well.

Back
Top Bottom