Not my tank or fish, but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2cvbloke

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The poor fantail goldfish in my local petshop were suffering from Ich!!! I asked the shop's employee what they were doing to treat it (medication), I suggested that they don't do this and instead heat up the tank gradually to about 80f and add a little ground up rock salt to the water, I'll have to pop back tomorrow and see if they're following my advice (which came from here!!!) cos they have some beautiful silver fantails in there and one poor silver fish was near death and kept getting stuck on the filter (and I spotted 2 dead fish)!!! :cry:

Plus the small £10 tank in their window kept screaming "Quarantine taaaaaaaank!!!!!" at me, so I might have to go back and maybe rescue a couple of the silver fantais and help them get back to health... :(

Hard to use the heat treatment on goldfish because the warmer water is actually bad for them. Heating the water to 80 will do nothing but speed up the lifecycle of the ich. It's actually probably better off at a lower temp.

I'd use aquarium salt and meds for goldfish. A lot slower and a little more stressful on the fish, but goldies are harder to treat.

Best of luck, hope they make it!!

Devilishturtles said:
Hard to use the heat treatment on goldfish because the warmer water is actually bad for them. Heating the water to 80 will do nothing but speed up the lifecycle of the ich. It's actually probably better off at a lower temp.

I'd use aquarium salt and meds for goldfish. A lot slower and a little more stressful on the fish, but goldies are harder to treat.

Best of luck, hope they make it!!

So if the water was higher than normal for the fish I guess it would kill them then? :cry:

Poor things, and most of them such beautiful fish aswell (there's some of those bulgy-eye fish in there too, I don't like those!!!), and I think they're pretty young as they're only about 1 1/2" long... :(

Oh well, I'll see if I can get a good deal with the tank, filter & fish (and if they have a suitable light, then that too), I probably should get the fish for free seeing how they're ill and not guaranteed to live for long...

Well, not really much of a deal, but, I got a 14L Clearseal tank (filled to about 12 or 13L), 2x of the "Blue Orandas" (Silver fantails), a bottle of White spot treatment and some Aquarium (not Marine!!!) salts too for about £18. I'll add the pics to the "New Aquisitions" section... :D

Now, the fish, one looks pretty healthy, whereas the other one has red areas around it's gills and base of it's fins & tail, but activity-wise both seem to stop & start every now and then (I got a short video of them, I'll pop it onto YouTube soon), so one moment they're either sinking or floating, then the next they're swimming about like nothing's wrong with them... :?

So, how long do I treat them for? The medication states to give them another dosage on the 4th day and the salts (given 1 teaspoon per 5L) need to go up to 2 teaspoonfuls per 5L on the 2nd dose...

Anyways, as there's no filter in the tank (the meds said to remove the filter's pad, but as I don't have a 2nd filter yet I haven't put one in), I'll be doing daily partial water changes in order to keep things nice (I have ordered a small filter from Japan on eBay, which is actually about £2 cheaper than getting the same filter from the shop!!!), but do I need to top up the salts when I do this?

Right, time to sort out the pics & video!!! :D

EDIT: Video is here:

The batteries died before i got the photos off though... :(

Well, they seem to be ok so far, did a 50% water change this afternoon, and they were swimming about happily when I first saw them this morning, but I guess it'll be a week or two before I know if they're responding to the meds... :)

I am at the end of treating my tiger barbs that had ick with nothing but the heat treatment. Seems like its taking forever, and most if not all of the fish at one of my LFS has ick galore.

Just bought a bulldog pleco a couple days ago and he has it bad to, now my wifes tank has an outbreak and she is trying the API meds since we don't have another heater.

Best of luck to you! Sucks battling this stuff!

Gundy said:
I am at the end of treating my tiger barbs that had ick with nothing but the heat treatment. Seems like its taking forever, and most if not all of the fish at one of my LFS has ick galore.

Just bought a bulldog pleco a couple days ago and he has it bad to, now my wifes tank has an outbreak and she is trying the API meds since we don't have another heater.

Best of luck to you! Sucks battling this stuff!

The only reason I bought them was because I had been in the shop for 3 days in a row and the poor fish were dropping like flies, so I had to rescue the two more healthy ones (there was one more silver one but he was too fargone to be rescued), so I'm hoping they'll pull through...

I was looking at a golden nugget Pleco on eBay, wouldn't mind one of those in my big tank (assuming I actually get the bloomin' thing!!!)... :D

Well, they're still going, and looking a bit happier today, done another 50% change and replaced the removed salts and meds, and gave them something to eat before the waterchange... :D

They're still going, but their skin surface is looking a bit bumpy now, I do hope they'll be ok!!! :cry:

I'm just hoping the new filter I bought arrives soon, when I looked in the tank this afternoon is looked hazy (not quite cloudy, but you could see beams of light in it easily), but again I did a 50% water change and topped up the medicines... :D

Well, today they're looking terrible, they're covered in white speckly stuff and look very bumpy, but on the plus side they are still swimming about happily compared to similar state fish in the shop which were practically dead... :(

Let's just hope that they're going to pull through and survive this evil disease!!! :D

They looked even worse last night before I went to bed!!! The stuff was starting to trail off them, but this morning they seemed to look a little less gruesome!!! Anyway, as the water was rather cloudy this morning, I did a 75%-ish water change today, I really do wish that the new filter would hurry up and arrive to keep things clear!!!

Devilishturtles said:
What medication are you using in the water?

Hope they make it :(

Interpet No. 6 White Spot Treatment Plus, and Aquarium Salts....

I hope they do too, I was going to go to the pet shop again to see if their former tankmates were still alive, but I had no excuse to go in... :D

Well, I managed to avoid disaster today, whilst I was draining the water from the tank one of the poor little guys got sucked right up into the hose!!! 8O

But after some frantic searching in the sink and in the tank I managed to get him released from the hoseby the only way I knew how, blowing him out like a torpedo!!! His dorsal fin has a split in it now and he lost a few scales, but 10 minutes later he was swimming about eating the food.... 8O

Anyway, apart from nearly killing one of them, they're looking better today, less white stuff is visible on their skin... :D

Well, today they're looking much better, including the one I nearly killed yesterday!!! So the meds seem to be doing their job... :D

Devilishturtles said:
Yay :)

I've sucked fish up before too, not fun!

The poor fish's injured dorsal fin looks red near the base and I could see where it lost some of it's scales, but other than that he seems fine and the fin seems to be healing up... :)

I'm just glad they weren't Neon tetras, they would have dissapeared down the plughole!!! 8O

Well, they look much much better today, one is even almost completely freeof the nasty white stuff!!! :D

I feel very proud of myself for rescuing them from that evil tank at the petshop!!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom