Not sure if it's cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Nope no picture..... but I have random growths of RED patches on my rock... it's not purple/lavendar/brownish red.... it's just RED .... I have none of this on my sand and it doesn't seem to spread anywhere near as quickly as my past outbreaks of diatoms... could this be a form of coraline???? Is cyano slimey ??? if I scratched it with my finger would I be able to tell????

well for the last few minutes I've been looking for red coraline and have seem one pic that looks pretty close to what I have.... I just expected the coraline to be purple.... also..... cyano is fuzzy isn't it???? this stuff isn't fuzzy..... I'll keep checking pics.... if anyone has a good shot of red coraline I'd love to see it.

c0mf0rt said:
I'll keep checking pics.... if anyone has a good shot of red coraline I'd love to see it.
No need, just run your finger across the area. If it comes off it's cyano, if not then possibley a form of coralline.

Cheers
Steve

I've got a rock that's completely red and it's all coralline.

kewl... yeah the "blotches" are on several different rocks... but it doesn't seem to be growing uncontrollably.... I did notice though that some of the growths are growing spikes....... the others I think are coralline.... any ideas on the spikey red stuff ???????

formineferans

i think i spelled that right. anyway, what your seeing is a formineferan. a single celled organism from the kingdom protista. i have them in my tank. spreading pretty slowly and i have read they are no threat to the reef. there are fish you can buy that will eat them.

Back
Top Bottom