Not sure if my bio load is too much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which predatory fish would you prefer

• Red Bellied Piranha

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • African Pike

• Oscar

• Cichlid

• Total voters

dukedhunter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm not sure if my bio load will be too high once everything is full grown. My aquarium is a 75 with a common pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco, 2 Albino bristlenose pleco, 1 Rope Fish, 5 cory, 3 plate, 2 Molly, 5 White Vieltale tetra, 1 red tail shark, 1 killifish, 2 dwarf African frogs, 2 clams, assassin snails

Monitor water params and watch for aggressive behavior. Those are sure signs you have too much in there.

I know from experience that common plecos can get around 4" or more in a 20 gallon tank never mind a 75 where they would probably get around 6 or 8. They also produce a high amount of waste per pleco. You have four plecos so the bioload will be high regardless of the 20 or so fish on top of that.

What kind of filtration system do you have on your 75? The bigger and better the filtration the less impact the bio load will have on your ammonia and nitrite levels.

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Ginn

You have four plecos so the bioload will be high regardless of the 20 or so fish on top of that.
Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious - just a matter of time. That's why I advised monitoring the water, because a tank upgrade will certainly soon be called for.

I have a Teta 60, Marineland penguin 350 and Sun something or other UV Filter 300 GPH. I am willing to get extra filtration if necessary. I have a 55 gallon that is almost done cycling I could possibly move some fish to.

Are all of those filters on the same tank? If so I'd say it can sustain the bio load for a while but the charcoal filter pouch style systems, at least for me, didn't hold up in the long run with a pleco in the tank. I kept having to change the filter packs, which as you know the bacteria goes with it when you change it, and so I kept having cycling problems.

I would say if you're not having constant cycling problems then your bio load won't be too bad but you will have to keep up on the gravel/substrate detritus because plecos are messy messy fish.

If those aren't all on the same tank you may run into overloading problems. I switched to an external canister filter and I have to say I don't know why I ever bothered with having to buy pre-made filter packages. The canisters are expensive up front but no more than buying filter packs in a year. And you never change the media only rinse the big detritus out of it and start it again. Eheim is the brand I bought but I've heard fluval is another reputable brand. I would go with a pump for say a 160gal or higher canister for your 75 gallon to allow for maximum filtration. The Eheim 2217 is what I just upgraded my 45gal bowfront to and it works like a dream.

You also mentioned moving fish to another tank, I would say separate the common pleco from the others beause it is going to be a very big pleco compared to the bristlenose who's full grown size is about 6" max. A common pleco can get anywhere from 12" - 24" in the right conditions. And your rope fish is also going to be about a foot at max size. So the common pleco and the rope fish should probably be housed separate from your smaller fish.

These are just my suggestions. Others may have other opinions but your bioload will exponentially increase as those plecos get bigger.

Alright, I'm taking the pleco to a LFS. Moving the patties and possibly the corys to my empty 20 hex. The tetras are going to the 55, what size fish do I have to stick to with the rope fish? I currently have a lace synodontis catfish that's growing like a weed in my roommates 75 gallon that will probably be added to the tank soon. His feathering synodontis is starting to mess with her at feeding time

I would research the rope fish and what they're compatability with. I've never had a rope fish before but I know they get big.

Back
Top Bottom