not sure what tank I want

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
How you guys doing. Now to cut to the point, right now I have a 20 high, but I want to get either a 55 or 65 or maybe a 75 gallon tank. What are your takes on this. What are the pros cons of each. I'm leaning toward a 65 gallon cause of the bottom surface area, plus the kinda compact size.

The 75g will have the best footprint IMO. They are 18" front to back. The 55 is only 12? which doesn't leave a lot of room to do anything. If its only going to be fake decor and things of that nature, the 55g will be ok. If you want to do plants or a big rock scape for africans, the extra 6" will definitely make it easier. Not quite sure on the 65. If its a column, which it sounds like since you said its compact, then you are severely limited in stocking. Fish that are ok in a 55g may not be in a column tank because they don't ahve as much room to swim.

True about the compact size but to me the larger the tank the more work and mone in equipment and fish. That's not to say that any one tank is better than another, it depends on what you want. In my experience whatever you get you will eventually want to get a bigger one. Will it be a planted tank? A community tank? Community tanks generally have smaller fish, but if you want an aggressive tank like for cichlids then the bigger the better. This will accomodate for size, territory and bioload. I am set to get a 75, planted and community as I like little guys and a lot of action. MFDrookie is right about that. A 75 would be best, or a 90.

I don't think bigger tanks are more work... actually, they're less work IMO. I spend less time working on my big tanks than I do my small tanks. It seems like my 10g's are harder to maintain than my 125 or 150. Now, if you're talking about carrying buckets back and forth for water changes, I wouldn't know.

The dimensions of the 65 are 36 by 18 by 24. I'm trying to see how I fair with the African's I want a 75 but a little too big. And what a footprint mean as you state above.

Not trying to force you in to it, but I think you'll be much happier with it and it'll give you a lot more options... especially compared to the 65g.

I understand you not trying to force me the 55 is 4' would that be okay or its too thin.

yeah.. a 55 and a 75 are the same tank, except the 75 is 6" wider from front to back. Its your choice, but considering they probably cost about the same, I'd go with the 75. Either will work fine, you'd really have to have both to see what I mean.

Yes... it has to be soaked for a while as it can cause some issues with pH, but people often use concrete on backgrounds and home made rocks

Back
Top Bottom