Not sure whats wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JnJ040310

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an albino rainbow shark and I'm not sure if theres something wrong with him. Ive only had him since saturday so it hasn't been a week the first two days he was swimming around like a nut :) and now he just kinda hangs out in the corner of the tank at the bottom kinda underneath where the heater ends. Every now and then he'll move n swim around then goes back to the same spot.. I don't know if it's the food, I was told that he'll eat the same as the other fish tropical fish flakes but i thought they ate something else.. The water temp was at 78-82 but my parents had the ac on n the tank got cool and the temp was 76-80 could that be it too? He's my favorite and I don't wanna loose him :-/ any help please!!!

Hi, how long has the tank been set up? Has it been properly cycled before adding the fish? It could be ammonia poisoning. Are you doing water changes, and if so how much and how often?

If you have a test kit, please post your ammonia, nitrate, nitrite test results here. If you don't have one, get one ASAP (a liquid test kit like API's Master kit is best, the strips are cheaper but very inaccurate). Take a look at the link in my signature (new tank with fish).

What you should do first is a large water change with dechlorinated water (Prime is best if you can get it) and temperature match the water. Then test your water and post the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels here so we can help further.

So he didn't make it... I only had him 4 days.. I check the water every other day apparently there was an ammonia boost (if that's possible) so yesterday I did a water change ( 3/4) the other fish are fine (8 columbian tetras) nit adding fish for a while and def checking water everyday now instead of every other. It's a 25 gallon tank I was in the process of getting him a bigger one but now I'm not.. Not adding fish for awhile.

So he didn't make it... I only had him 4 days.. I check the water every other day apparently there was an ammonia boost (if that's possible) so yesterday I did a water change ( 3/4) the other fish are fine (8 columbian tetras) nit adding fish for a while and def checking water everyday now instead of every other. It's a 25 gallon tank I was in the process of getting him a bigger one but now I'm not.. Not adding fish for awhile.

Sorry to hear about your albino Rainbow.:( Are the colombian tetras still fine?There is a chance it was just bad stock. Continue to monitor your parameters and do PWC's accordingly, but sometimes you just get a fish that doesn't make it, albeit, sometime days later ...even if you have ideal conditions.

jcolon said:
Sorry to hear about your albino Rainbow.:( Are the colombian tetras still fine?There is a chance it was just bad stock. Continue to monitor your parameters and do PWC's accordingly, but sometimes you just get a fish that doesn't make it, albeit, sometime days later ...even if you have ideal conditions.

They're still okay.. I should have known not to get him the day I did he was the last one left.. I'll know better next time :)

Back
Top Bottom