not the "usual" Algae problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
7Enigma said:
Definately. My tank is only a 20gallon high, so a single PH connected to 2 2L bottles works great for me. Your tank is more than twice as long as mine, I would if you can have one on either end at substrate level...

EDIT: This is your 75gallon tank from your sig correct? How on earth are you getting 65ppm CO2 by DIY. Can you tell us where you are taking water from to measure CO2 levels? Right next to the PH, on the far side, what depth level? You're the perfect candidate for pressurized, but I like you, hate the cost issue. Think I'll be treating myself to a pressurized system this Christmas however.... :)
opposite end of the tank from the ph, , near the bottom with a pipet... 8) i have six 6L hooked up the the PH, ans well as a bubble ladder on the other side connected to the 1 L...

Have you calculated your break-even point if you went pressurized? With my 20gallon it will be quite a while before it actually pays for itself, but in your situation it would be much faster.

7Enigma said:
Have you calculated your break-even point if you went pressurized? With my 20gallon it will be quite a while before it actually pays for itself, but in your situation it would be much faster.
you are probaly right, i will have to sit down and calculate that... after i do a little research

JDogg said:
opposite end of the tank from the ph, , near the bottom with a pipet... 8) i have six 6L hooked up the the PH, ans well as a bubble ladder on the other side connected to the 1 L...
that should be 6 2 L bottles :?

anyways, did like a 75% pwc, cleaned filter, did a major re-aquascape, AND cut my lights in half...

was fine for a few days, but now the hair/thread algae or what ever it is is worse then ever...!
i had cleaned off as much as i could see (this was saturday), but now it came back...

Is this your 75 gallon tank? If so, I find it hard to believe that you actually have 60ppm CO2 from just six 2 Liter bottles. Have you confirmed that there aren't any buffers in your water skewing the results?

Purrbox said:
Is this your 75 gallon tank? If so, I find it hard to believe that you actually have 60ppm CO2 from just six 2 Liter bottles. Have you confirmed that there aren't any buffers in your water skewing the results?
yes, let tap water sit out for 48 hours got a CO2 of ~2.6 ppm...
PH=8.2
KH= 14

in the tank with DIY CO2

KH still 14
PH 6.8

66.56 ppm...

unless i am doing something wrong of missing something...

The calculations are correct. From that I would have to guess that you are using an extra potent CO2 mix and/or an especially efficient method of diffusion.

Something else that would be good to check, is to take a series of pH readings during the entire day. This would give a more complete picture of the amount of CO2 in the tank. Also what's the lowest your CO2 levels get before you swap in a new mix?

Purrbox said:
The calculations are correct. From that I would have to guess that you are using an extra potent CO2 mix and/or an especially efficient method of diffusion.
i think i am getting darn near 100% diffusion... running it though a powerhead... i do not see bubbles reach the surface...
Something else that would be good to check, is to take a series of pH readings during the entire day. This would give a more complete picture of the amount of CO2 in the tank. Also what's the lowest your CO2 levels get before you swap in a new mix?
i have checked at various times of the day...i swap out 2 bottles every week...so with 6 bottles a bottles run for a total of 3 weeks, i have yet to see the Co2 level dip below 60 ppm...actually i was thinking of running the bottles an extra week...:?

JDogg said:
Purrbox said:
i think i am getting darn near 100% diffusion... running it though a powerhead... i do not see bubbles reach the surface...
i have checked at various times of the day...i swap out 2 bottles every week...so with 6 bottles a bottles run for a total of 3 weeks, i have yet to see the Co2 level dip below 60 ppm...actually i was thinking of running the bottles an extra week...:?

Sounds like you've got most of your bases covered. One last thing you can do is to take samples from several different locations in your tank and compare CO2 results. You want to make sure to target the areas where you are seeing higher levels of algae. This will help to rule out circulation issues for distributing the CO2 and other nutrients.

Purrbox said:
One last thing you can do is to take samples from several different locations in your tank and compare CO2 results. You want to make sure to target the areas where you are seeing higher levels of algae. This will help to rule out circulation issues for distributing the CO2 and other nutrients.
i can try that...

most of the algae is clearly in the path of the outflow of my filter...so i would think it would have good flow, but maybe not...:?

Back
Top Bottom