Octo reef nwb150 prob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daney90

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I have bought an octo reef from BRS last month and I havent started using since 3 weeks ago. My tank is a 55 gal display and a 10 gal sump. Currently the skimmer's water level is at 8 inches deep but so far it's not making a foam. I've tried tunning it up and down but still no foam. I don't know what do to. Anyone have any idea what to do? Pls help. Thanks

Can you provide a pic? What do you mean no foam? Are there bubbles in the skimmer body, but not traveling up to the collection cup? Are there no bubbles at all?

Here is what it looks like.

image-2530886516.jpg

image-3340042359.jpg

The bubbles goes up to the collection cup because I think I set my water level like that through the gate valve.

On the second picture. The skimmate you see is not really a skimmate its just water due to manually topping off the sump and it overflowed lol

I purchased one of these and it took 2 to 3 weeks before it would start producing any skimmate. Give it time. It needs a break-in period before it really starts working.

I had the same thoughts and after 2 weeks was looking at returning it because I thought it was broken.

Thank you so much! I was thinking of returning it at the end of this month cause I'm not happy with the product. But I think I'll follow your advice first before Returning it to BRS.

How deep is your water? So you didn't turn off your skimmer for 2-3weeks?

Run it 24/7 until it breaks in. Trust me, you'll know when it does, as it will overflow immediately. I have the NWB-110 and love it. It runs 24/7, rather than intermittently.

On the second picture. The skimmate you see is not really a skimmate its just water due to manually topping off the sump and it overflowed lol

Sorry I haven't responded in a bit.

The issue you're experiencing is due to a couple factors. 1) It seems you've tightened your gate vale a bit too much and are getting very watery skimmate. 2) It also seems the level in your sump is uneven. For best results when using an in-sump skimmer the chamber where your skimmer is located should be constant. If you have no chambers in your sump, it's pretty easy to add baffles to your sump to keep the water level steady. This way you can dial in your skimmer to produce a good skimmate consistency.

Back
Top Bottom