odds of birds nests survival?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i got a hammer coral and a branching montipora off a friend and he threw in a small piece of birds nest frag that he said he didnt think was gonna make it. it was looking rough in his tank so he offered it to me to see if i could get it to live. since putting it in my tank it does look better. and i can see the remaining healthy parts are reaching out. what are the odds of it surviving?

please ignore the aptasia. i literally just bought aptasia x today and will be killing them before i do my water change.

img_2329443_0_0cbc3797081a65174878514475d912b6.jpg

I got a piece off of needmorecowbell pretty much in the same situation. Gave it to me as an extra since it was dying off in his tank. After about a month of more recession in my tank it started to spring back and then started growing with a vengeance haha. It's now one of my largest and most frequent frag producers so as long as you see a couple polyps still on it don't count it out lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130208_150156.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130208_150156.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 81
thanks. i dont know a lot about sps corals. with softies its pretty easy to see how they are doing. so i should expect about a month before this thing starts to actually be healthy again?

I would give it a month til it starts to show signs of re growth. The dead areas could take longer though. Mine took about 3-4 months to make a full recovery.

If conditions are good in a tank, it is possible for sps to recover. I had a power outage that literally murdered many of my sps in the fall. I never got around to removing the skeletons, and I'm glad that I did. I had a purple na na acro that I thought I had lost. I picked it up and turned it around before removing it, and there hidden away was a small chunk of tissue clinging to life. It is still currently recovering, the chunk of tissue has doubled in size since then. If an acro can make this kind of recovery, an easier to keep birds nest can do it as well. Just keep parameters in check and a good amount of flow, it'll come back for you.

thanks everyone. it is just below the output of my sump so i think flow should be good. how fast do these grow once healthy? what signs should i look for to know if it is happy? besides growth lol.

Back
Top Bottom