Off to the LFS today. Need help picking fish please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a dentist appointment taking me to the side of town my LFS is on so I figure I'll run by since I need/want some fish anyway. I'm wanting to add a centerpiece fish to my 75 gallon and I've been thinking about this for awhile. I've pretty much settled on a pair of kribs which hopefully will breed for me (though I doubt it as nothing ever, ever breeds for me).

In the tank currently, I have 3 black skirts, 6 von rios, 6 glo-lites, 6 black neons, 6 cory cats, 2 pygmy cories, a bn pleco and a dwarf gourami. It's planted and I also want to add a few more plants to it. My goal is to eventually get all the plastic plants out of there and replace them with real ones w/o hurting the look at all. I think a pair of kribs will fit in there nicely and I'm considereing picking up a couple of black skirts to round out my school, then I'll be done w/my tank. Does that sound like a proposal that'll work?

Also, in my 55g I've got one Jack Dempsey and 2 Buenos Aires tetras. I put them in there since they were wrecking havoc in the 75 and bullying everyone around. I figured they were too big and too fast for him to eat. Over the last two weeks four of the six I put in there have disappeared. I suspect Jack, but he claims he had nothing to do with it and was at home watching TV at the time. I hate to have a 55g with just one fish. Jack's not that big (he was kept in a 20g before I got him and I suspect he's somewhat stunted), and I'd kind of like to add some dither fish or something to the tank. The problem is he'll eat them if he catches them. Any ideas?

Your plan for the 75 sounds good. Should be a pretty tank. I think Jack will be fine by himself. You could add another Jack if you find one roughly the same size. Only other thing I can thing of is maybe a school of silver dollars.

You might be able to get away with adding some other medium cichlids to Jack's tank as well. I might go with a firemouth or two.

The best dither fish I have found for large cichlids are giant danios.

They are relatively cheap and very fast and hard to catch, especially if you have a large enough school of them.

I know that "6 fish equals a school" gets tossed around all over every fish forum, but I've found that at least 10 are really necessary to get decent schooling behavior. 20-50 is even better, but I don't have the room for that many dithers at this point.

Back
Top Bottom