OH MY GOD! Those test kits with strips really SUCK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OhNeil1969

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read so many times on this site how inaccurate those water test strips can be, but I didn't realize just how bad they really are. I'm performing a fishless cycle on a 60 gallon tank right now and have been testing for a week with the Quick Dip strips. After the first 2 days of what I thought was slow dosing of ammonia I started getting a color reading that I couldn't understand. I had been planning on getting the API Master Kit, but I didn't think it would hurt to start my cycle without it until I could make it to the store. I finally got the master kit as a present today and tested the tank. It was off the scale for ammonia! Remember, I was slow dosing based on the readings I was getting from the strips. What I thought was close to 4 ppm based on the strips was actually over 8 ppm. So I did a 50% PWC thinking I might be able to get close to the 4 or 5 ppm I was looking for. No Joy! It still read close to 8 ppm (my cousin says it more like 6 ppm - close enough).

As a result I decided to write this post for those that are still skeptical about buying the master test kit. DO IT!!! Thank god I haven't killed any fish in my established tank relying of those test strips. I'm about to go a recheck that tank anyway just to be sure. In the end, the master kit is worth the added cost. And remember, the kit tests everything!

i got those strips with my tank and used them once..... it says 40ppm of nitrate..... it was actually at less than 5 ppm

The only thing I am finding difficult with the master kit is telling the slight variations in shading. Especially in the purples...sigh. Wonder how someone who was color blind would test a tank?

I know what you mean akkitten. I work in the automotive industry where we often have to check electrical wiring based on color. One of my good friends is color blind. Whenever he has to check wiring, he'll call someone over to check the color for him.

Just tested what I thought was a established and healthy tank. Where the test strips said I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes and 20 ppm of nitrAtes, I found that I actually had 0.25 ppm ammonia, nitrItes were ok at 0 ppm and nitrates were extremely high at 80 ppm. I just did a 30% PWC. I'm planning on testing tomorrow and making whatever adjustments are necessary. Had I been privy to this info sooner I would have adopted a more frequent water change schedule. Again, I'm pushing this thread so that those amongst us that still think they can get away with the test strips will see the light. I used to think: "what's the big deal? A test is a test." I can see now that I was totally wrong.

I completely agree. At first the only thing I could buy were those dreadful test strips. I too, like you, figured that I would just take into consideration that they are going to be a little off, but not too much of a difference.

I started out cycling a few tanks with them, and after getting readings that made NO sense I got frustrated and drove out to the pet store in search of the API Master Kit. Before this, Petco near me never had it in stock, Petsmart didn't carry it, and Walmart only let you order it online. I called Petsmart to see if they had it, I clearly explained what I was looking for, they said they had it, but sure enough I came in and they only had the strips.

Then I went to Petco and they finally had one! One left on the shelf, cost $30. Took a big chunk out of my small Christmas money savings, but TOTALLY worth it!

Water parameters are an important part of fish keeping. It's really so much better to actually get as accurate as possible readings. Well, that's my little story. I too hope that others will buy the API liquid testers. Some examples of inaccuracy include readings of .50 Ammonia when it was really 4.0 (during a cycle). Another is Nitrates 20-40 when it was really 0! (Beginning of cycle).

Oh, so when I was at Petsmart I asked the guy why there wasn't the test kit they said they had, and he just replied, "Oh, well the strips are easier, anyway." so I told him they usually give incorrect readings and he just gave me a confused look. oh well.

I completely agree. At first the only thing I could buy were those dreadful test strips. I too, like you, figured that I would just take into consideration that they are going to be a little off, but not too much of a difference.

I started out cycling a few tanks with them, and after getting readings that made NO sense I got frustrated and drove out to the pet store in search of the API Master Kit. Before this, Petco near me never had it in stock, Petsmart didn't carry it, and Walmart only let you order it online. I called Petsmart to see if they had it, I clearly explained what I was looking for, they said they had it, but sure enough I came in and they only had the strips.

Then I went to Petco and they finally had one! One left on the shelf, cost $30. Took a big chunk out of my small Christmas money savings, but TOTALLY worth it!

Water parameters are an important part of fish keeping. It's really so much better to actually get as accurate as possible readings. Well, that's my little story. I too hope that others will buy the API liquid testers. Some examples of inaccuracy include readings of .50 Ammonia when it was really 4.0 (during a cycle). Another is Nitrates 20-40 when it was really 0! (Beginning of cycle).

Oh, so when I was at Petsmart I asked the guy why there wasn't the test kit they said they had, and he just replied, "Oh, well the strips are easier, anyway." so I told him they usually give incorrect readings and he just gave me a confused look. oh well.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. When I went to my local LFS and asked what was the best way to test your water I was directed to the test strips. In fact, the sales associate said it was what they used on all their tanks (and we wonder why the health of the fish at the LFS is so poor). I'd been speaking to this particular sales associate for a while now and thought of him as particularly knowledgable. He spoke of his many tanks and fish and I really believed that if anyone wouldn't steer me wrong it would be him. In the end, I'm really grateful for this site. If it weren't for the many helpful people here, I'd probably be making the same mistakes.

I was looking for an ammonia liquid test the other day as I thought my API master kit was lying to me about the .5 ammonia in my tap even after the water filter I have installed. Anyway, I went to the closest Pet Supermarket and was told there that I could bring a water sample from my tank and they'd test it for me. When I asked what they used, the sales person proudly showed me the strips and said they were the best. Never ever going to trust those guys! :)

Couldn't agree more. The first month of my tank I just used the strips as well. Then I got the API test kit when I found out that pink on the strip actually meant way too high on the API kit.

I love the kit and I can't image having a tank without it. I actually look forward to testing my tank now knowing that my readings are correct and not "ranges".

You know, in the long run, the liquid test is actually cheaper than the strips. ;) The liquid one has over 700 tests for $20-50, and each pack of 10-25 strips is about $5-11?

You know, in the long run, the liquid test is actually cheaper than the strips. ;) The liquid one has over 700 tests for $20-50, and each pack of 10-25 strips is about $5-11?

You're absolutely right. I can't even tell you how many strips I wasted trying to get an accurate reading. And like you said, for the price of the bottle of strips, each test cost me way more than using the master kit.

Before I came here and learned about cycling, I had set up a tank with glofish. Obviously it wasn't cycled, and they died. I brought them back to the store with a water sample. The fish had been decomposing in the water sample, and the color had drained into the bag. He said my levels were perfect and gave me a refund. Another great example of the accuracy of the strips the stores use.

Another example:
The strips told me I had a pH of 6.0 in my tank, a bit low for the fish I keep. One of the guys at Petsmart tested for me with strips and it showed 6.0. I made the mistake of listening to him and left the store with a [rather expensive] bottle of pH Raise. A but later, with newfound knowledge (thanks to this site) and the API master, Ive discovered my tank has a pH of 7.6! WAYYY off... And I didn't need the pH adjuster! Good thing I didnt add it to the tank yet! Ugh. It's a big difference having low pH and medium pH.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

mandy2936 said:
Another example:
The strips told me I had a pH of 6.0 in my tank, a bit low for the fish I keep. One of the guys at Petsmart tested for me with strips and it showed 6.0. I made the mistake of listening to him and left the store with a [rather expensive] bottle of pH Raise. A but later, with newfound knowledge (thanks to this site) and the API master, Ive discovered my tank has a pH of 7.6! WAYYY off... And I didn't need the pH adjuster! Good thing I didnt add it to the tank yet! Ugh. It's a big difference having low pH and medium pH.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

I had those strips for a few days before I got the master kit and pH was unreadable - the color just did not match with any of the colors on the chart! It was either too dark or too light, too orange or too red. I just had to guess!!!
Luckily, I had no fish yet! :)

Did you use the standard pH (blueish color) and then try the High pH (orangish color)?

The API Master Test Kit sucks too I think :p not because it isn't accurate, it definitely does the job. As far as accuracy goes, does anyone really know how accurate ? I'm assuming it's accurate enough and that's good enough for me.

What I hate about it is how annoying it is to sit there and count drop by drop and the length of time to complete all the tests, a real PITA. Sometimes I dread the though of having to break it out and end up waiting until the next water change.

As for the wow over 700 tests, the only tests that have any importance to the average user are 3 - ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. If the timing is right by the end of the week all that should be showing is nitrates. I've been pretty spot on with guessing and that's why sometimes I don't even bother with testing the water.

When are they going to make some device that you can stick in the tank that gives accurate readings in real time and what's up with ammonia being sold separately both as a bottle and test strips. Why can't they make one strip that has all the tests you need or sell ammonia-nitrite-nitrate only. Test strips are over-priced made from cheap paper, they should cost $1.50 per bottle not $15.

There you have it the master test kit sucks lol

And while they're at it, they should make auto water changing systems too... and just take all the work out of a hobby that wouldn't be nearly as rewarding otherwise ;)

This thread is four months old but back your point they do have electronic testers for water chemisty, they are around $300 each. I'm not sure why you would want something like that especially testing for things that are not present in a cycled tank like ammonia or nitrite. If you don't have the patience or time to measure out a few drops of liquid maybe it's time for a new hobby. I don't think you'll find very many people agreeing with you about the API kit.

Back
Top Bottom