Ok just finished my 1st PWC... took 4 hours!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Damn I just finished my 1st PWC of my new 132g, it took me 4 freakin hours!!! I am currently using 2 canister filters, these give me a lot of headache.

Sucking saltwater out and put new water in no problem. When I come to disconnect my canister filter, boom.. disaster struck! I turned the valve off and disconnected it hell there were still water in there it came our pouring all over the place. Nevermind I cleaned that up and when I come to clean the second one.. splash one more time then I cleaned that up as well.

Rinsing the medias and basket was a pain in the backside too especially the motor top part there seems to be tons of water in there it never stop dripping. I wiped it up it dripped again then I wiped it up then it dripped again.... and I couldn't seemed to dry them up also.

Ok putting them back together, connected everything and start priming to get the water into the canister, boom another disaster, there were big bubbles came out of the intake part and water pour out from top of the tank onto the floor, the wall, in between the background paper and back glass, the cabinet...everywhere... then more cleaning up to do.

I think I am done with this kind of filter. I might just get a skimmer I think. Anyone got any idea is it ok for me to use only a skimmer for FOWLR tank? It is only going to house a yellow tang, a blue tang, a naso tang, a ocellaris clown, 8 chromis. Is that possible?

My 1st PWC took me a while and I made quite a mess too! Now I am much better. What kind of canister filters are you using? I have a Fluvial, but don't have an problems. As for you last question. If you have about 1.5-2Lbs of LR per gallon, I believe you can get away from using the canisters, as this should provide enough surface area to cultivate your beneficial bacteria.

Forget the canisters. I turn my pumps off, drain the sump, clean the skimmer, fill the sump and turn the pump ons :)

I dont have a filter(I do run a skimmer and LR only) but I like Ellisz`s suggestion.

I dont know how much room you have, but after you turn the canisters off, cn you move them higher then the tank for a little while while you do the actualy water change? That may aleviate some of hte mess if you feel the ned to clean the canisters

Back
Top Bottom