Ok to add new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank that I've had up and running for about 6 or 7 weeks now. We did an in-fish cycle and currently have 1 Bala shark and 1 Gold Gourami. We also had 2 Angelfish and an Opaline Goarami, but the Opaline Gourami continually chased the Angelfish and nipped at them causing them to die. We ended up taking back the Opaline Goarami. Anyways, we were looking to add some new fish and the levels are currently the following: ammonia 0.25, nitrites: 0, nitrates: 10. I've been doing consistent water changes (once or twice a week) and have yet to get the ammonia down to 0. Would it be ok to add a few new fish?

Sure.. Just double check their compatibility with the fish you currently have.
The thing about Fish-In cycling is that you have to stock more slowly than you can with Fish-Less cycling.
Get a few fish then wait a week or so to let the BB adjust to the increased bio load before adding the next group. Repeat until you're at your desired stocking level.
Hope this helps.

When someone says 'that fish needs a ##gallon tank' - does that mean that the volume of tank recommended means you can keep just one fish in it?

This is a comment I see constantly on forums and seems to have little basis.

A 55 gallon tank is 250 litres. I know marine fish keepers that keep fish equal to much more than 1 bala shark in 250l

You are fine with 1 bala in a 55. If it starts getting really big then you have to find it a new home, but until then it will be fine. You could try angels again, 3 juvinilles would be fine. A school of rainbows, or a pair of rams. You could do a lot of differnt smaller cichlids also. Keyholes, Rainbow, apistos. look up some smaller more timid cichlids.

Uhmm no you need to rehome the Baka shark all the advice given so far about it being ok if false. The Baka shark grows to 12-14 inches and needs a school of at least 4. It also requires a 125 6 foot bare minimum for a tank. Your better off with an 8 foot 220 gallon.

I agree though do not add more fish until your cycles complete. After your cycles done though look into a semi aggressive community it sounds like what you are looking for. I suggest looking at
Red Tailed Sharks
Rosy Barbs
Bristlenose Plecos
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Pictus Catfish

See if you might like any of those fish.

I suggest you rehome the Bala immediately then you have room for other fish.

I agree a 55g is way to small ...the problem is those tanks are way to Narrow! Balas get up to 14" on the small side...the shark won't even be able to turn around in a 55! You should rehome the Bala and get a pair of angel Fish. Their body types were made for 55gal tanks...cichlids are a good option too!

I don't think the OP was asking for stocking suggestions. Seemed to me like he was asking how to go about adding fish to a tank that was Fish-In cycled.

Edit: I meant to ask earlier... Have you tested you tap water for ammonia? It's possible that the .25ppm you're getting is coming from the source.

Last edited:
Cycled or not. OP is asking about adding more fish to a tank that is currently overstocked because of the Bala...so I think the answers with new stocking suggestions does pertain to the questin and sould be helpful if anything..

Exactly Shark21 I agree entirely! It does not matter if the OP was asking for stocking suggestion the point is the Bala will be to large and needs rehomed.

Uhmm no you need to rehome the Baka shark all the advice given so far about it being ok if false. The Baka shark grows to 12-14 inches and needs a school of at least 4. It also requires a 125 6 foot bare minimum for a tank. Your better off with an 8 foot 220 gallon.

I agree though do not add more fish until your cycles complete. After your cycles done though look into a semi aggressive community it sounds like what you are looking for. I suggest looking at
Red Tailed Sharks
Rosy Barbs
Bristlenose Plecos
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Pictus Catfish

See if you might like any of those fish.

I suggest you rehome the Bala immediately then you have room for other fish.

Pretty sure 90% of my posts these days are just agreeing with you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom