Ok Water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

king_of_biscuit

Aquarium Advice Regular
So im very over cautious and im using i filter to filter the tap water taking all the hard metals and most chlorine and other harmfull substances away and after i treat my water aswell however i have tested my normal water and everythings fine accept the clorine thats 0.8-1 (mg) and whell.….is that fine to chancge the water ??? And how much can i change with that till it becomes lethal???and if i treat it with Aqua safe how long does it take to completely make the water safe to put it in the tank?

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First of all what sort of filter to remove substances from the tap water? Second, water conditioners work nearly instantly, within seconds. Third, the disinfectants in tap water are there to provide a product safe for human consumption at the tap, very low level. Many folks do regular 25% water changes with no dechlorinator at all. A bigger concern is the hardness of the replacement water, if this is consistent and you do regular water changes it isn't an issue.

I regularly change 50% and add dechlor after due to my setup, never had an issue. The maximum legally allowed chlorine level here is 4.0, generally it's 1.0 at the tap.

I'm curious as well since in your other thread you only claim to do 7 liters every two weeks on 50 liter tanks.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

As I understand, chloramines are a large concern as well, more lethal than chlorine.

Dechlorinator is cheap, if always recommend using it instead of presuming it's fine to skip because "plenty" of people do.

You might be making your water too soft, filtering it, which can result in pH swings. Another reason to use dechlorinator instead of a filter.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Municipal water suppliers are up against bacteria in their supply system that can split the ammonia/chlorine bond in chloramine, utilizing the ammonia. They grow in the supply system, can be cultivated in your bio filtration just like the rest of your nitrifying bacteria, thus making smaller water changes with water containing chloramine reasonably safe. From the beginning, yes, use dechlorinator. Once you get a better grasp on how things work in the closed system of an aquarium there's plenty you can do beyond what is recommended for beginners.

My concern, as trenn mentioned, is that being some sort of RO filter which will remove nearly all the mineral content of the water.

+1 to Trenn and Tolak. I wouldn't spend all that time prefiltering your water. Your fish need the trace elements in your water supply. I would get some Prime water conditioner and just use that. Easier and probably better for the fish in the long run.

Treemanone i do change 7 liters of water....why?

As I pointed out in your other thread, it's not enough of a WC with the volume of fish you have in such a small tank. And if you're only changing that much every 2 weeks, it's definitely sub standard (IMO) and I'm willing to bet the reason for your nitrates in the 100-150 range. I would suggest to re-read what I wrote in your other thread and try the example I set up for you as well as doing more research on caring for your wet friends.

Whell i meant of course now im going to do a WC more often and with more water...maybe 10 liters all im asking is how high can i go before its too mutch

Whell i meant of course now im going to do a WC more often and with more water...maybe 10 liters all im asking is how high can i go before its too mutch

With the levels you have in your tanks, you can't go high enough, but also you don't want to shock them. For example, if your nitrates are 150 and you do a 50% WC today, it will bring it to 75. Then say overnight they climb to 90 and you do another 50% WC, they'll drop back to 45. And the cycle will just keep repeating. It would be advisable to check your level before and after so you know where things are.

Ok bro thanks alot and i really appreciate the help ????????☺☺☺☺

Back
Top Bottom