Old filter cartridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gialdino171

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, so I have the Marineland Penguin 100 filter that has a mini-bio wheel. I just changed the filter cartridge yesterday. I have the old cartridge in a stocking hanging in the tank on the side. I wasn't sure if the biowheel had enough bacteria to compensate for the filter change, and was worried that a mini-cycle would occur without the old cartridge. Just wondering how long I should leave it in there, thanks.

Most of the HOB filters that have bio wheels on them don't offer enough surface area thru the bio wheel itself. I mean its a nice concept and all dont get me wrong. Its just not enough so if u changed the inside cartridge then i would say yes you will have a mini cycle.
Hanging the old one in a sock doesn't offer much help unless its directly in the water current.

What would be more effective is take the fiber material off the old cart and shove it in pressed against the new cart. Another thing you can do is add a nylon bag with additional filter media if there is any open space inside the filter. Then you can change out the cart and bag at different times.

Back
Top Bottom