Old tank syndrome - vodka dose experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sagacious

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's my tank! Its a 110 gallon tall tank that I got from craigslist awhile ago. They didn't take care of it well and after I moved it home I noticed it had about 2 inches of detritus and gunk in the sump..so after cleaning it out and a few equipment upgrades I still get lots of green algae on the glass daily...LOTS. Water Params are perfect, 0 nitrates/phosphates so ive determined its nutrients bound up in the rock and DSB from old tank syndrome. Instead of replacing everything i'm going to experiment with vodka dosing to fix the situation and document it all here and YouTube probably. It can be difficult with a DSB but we will see what happens. Stay tuned

ForumRunner_20120818_122347.jpg

Before you start dosing...what kind of water is in there? Tap or distilled//ro/di? Just want to check off all possibilities before starting to dose, it could cause additional problems.

I use ro di water... And lol at vodka killing the fish. Its safe if done correctly.

Sagacious said:
I use ro di water... And lol at vodka killing the fish. Its safe if done correctly.

How is it different than adding vodka to the clove oil? Thought it was pretty instant.
I've been told on here to not even use certain fish medications because it has clove oil components in it...

I know it sounds crazy but it works. I've not seen any bad side effects. You can actually overfeed and bio - overload the tank (I would not recommend!) but my nitrates and phosphates are always 0.

ekean45 said:
I know it sounds crazy but it works. I've not seen any bad side effects. You can actually overfeed and bio - overload the tank (I would not recommend!) but my nitrates and phosphates are always 0.

Wow :) that's great

Back
Top Bottom