Old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ehamilton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

is there anything else I can put in my filter media-wise that will give me better filtration besides carbon filter? I have a 30 gal square tank, using a Penguin 200 filter. It's like 10 years old. I use their carbon filters inside. I think there is room in the filter box for two filters. I used to change them out, but after reading posts, I just wash them in tank water in a separate bucket.

my nitrates are high. What can I do to lower them? I tried removing much of the gravel and I will continue the water changes. Turns out I had about 3-4" coating of gravel on the ground. I left myself with a thin layer of gravel just coating the bottom part of the square tank. Besides gravel and overfeeding, where else do nitrates "come from"?

I use distilled water for all water changes. I do 30% one a week at least, and often do this twice a week. I used to use tap water, but my tap is terrible... 25 ppm of hardness.... It left a mess of hard water stains on my tank, filter case, hood, everywhere... :banghead:

I am moving in 3 months and thinking of starting over with a shiny new tank with NO hard water stains.

The nitrates come from uneaten food and fish poo. Removing gravel won't take care of them but instead just increase the frequency of your water changes and increase the amount you change out to 50% weekly. How much are you feeding daily?

I would avoid using distilled water for your water changes and instead go with RO water. You could mix water from your tap with other sources to dillute the impurities in the water.

As for what to put in the filter box, you can put as many filter pads as will fit in it as long as it doesn't restrict the flow.

The nitrates come from uneaten food and fish poo. Removing gravel won't take care of them but instead just increase the frequency of your water changes and increase the amount you change out to 50% weekly. How much are you feeding daily?

I would avoid using distilled water for your water changes and instead go with RO water. You could mix water from your tap with other sources to dillute the impurities in the water.

As for what to put in the filter box, you can put as many filter pads as will fit in it as long as it doesn't restrict the flow.

I feed as much as they can eat without much dropping to the bottom. Maybe a few flakes hit the bottom. I do this once per day.

When I move I will have better water. Where I live now has no water softener so it's ridiculously hard, so I'm hesitant to put it in the tank. I will look out for some RO water at FSs and try mixing. Do you recommend any other types of filter pads besides the generic one I'm using? Thanks!

Oh, also, should I put more substrate in there?

I use cut to size filter pads that i found at pet smart. A bag cost me around $8 and gave me enough material to make probably 10 filter pads out of.

Use as much substrate as you like. The deeper the gravel the more difficult it is to clean, but it's not a serious problem.

Back
Top Bottom