One little Neon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portia

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I posted a week or so ago about all my neon tetras being eaten.

One little dude remains, and I don't know what to do about him. I know they're supposed to be kept in groups but since the others did not survive, I'm reluctant to get any more of them and subject them to being food. I feel bad for the little guy who's left. Ideas?

I should have also asked what size tank do you have?

Is the neon hanging out with any of the other fish, such as the danios? Sometimes they will find an alternate group to school with if they don't have any of there own. I do have several tetras that are not in groups because they are the last of there kind left after the others died from old age. I don't think it will be to detrimental to the fish given the circumstances. However if you don't want one lone tetra in the tank you could try exchanging it at your local pet store for another danio or guppy. Most chain stores won't allow this but if you have a independantly owned fish store around they are more willing to do this.

contrary to popular belief, neons do not need to be in a group. as long as it is eating, and active, it will be fine. though if it starts showing signs of stress, i would consider isolating it.

I've ran into this situation before, I lost all of my neons except for one and I wasn't sure what to do about it. I could tell he was stressed out about being alone, but he was eating and sort of active. I ended up getting five more because my girlfriend kept making me feel bad for keeping him alone when he really seemed like he wanted some friends. He was instantly a whole bunch happier and more active. He may not need to be in a group but I'm sure he'd be happier that way.

lol @ "seemed like he wanted some friends". hahah.

there is a difference between being the only fish in the tank, and being the only neon in the tank. there are other fish in the OP's tank acting as dithers to keep the tank active, and help with the feeding aspect.
with neons, the more the merrier really. while a pair will be much more active tank a single neon, and a group of 5 will provide more visually than the pair, it is not "required" to keep them in a group like some believe. provided you already have a few small fish (similar sized community type fish) in your tank, you could easily add just 2 neons, and they will do just fine.

lol @ "seemed like he wanted some friends". hahah.

there is a difference between being the only fish in the tank, and being the only neon in the tank. there are other fish in the OP's tank acting as dithers to keep the tank active, and help with the feeding aspect.
with neons, the more the merrier really. while a pair will be much more active tank a single neon, and a group of 5 will provide more visually than the pair, it is not "required" to keep them in a group like some believe. provided you already have a few small fish (similar sized community type fish) in your tank, you could easily add just 2 neons, and they will do just fine.

It's not that I am unwilling to get him friends, it's that his last friends got eaten. He's eating and swimming around, so not unhappy, I suppose.

I had an upside down cat in my 30 gallon aquarium that came out at night to chow on my smaller fish. the day i moved him to my malawi tank was the day my fish (including many neons) stopped disappearing. he might be the culprit

Back
Top Bottom