One of my Zebra danio died after major water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joidevive

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I didn’t realize changing much of the water could kill a zebra danio. The female died. And the male seems to behave normally. I hope he won’t die later. I only had them for a few months. I’m really saddened by this.

I have 4 baby fries in my separate 5 gallon tank. It’s a new tank so it’s not completely cycled. I added an old decoration and it’s relatively small. And the tank had bacterial bloom. How much should I feed them life spectrum grow fry starter? Is it possible to overfeed?

It could've been the uncycled tank, or the abrupt change in nitrates and ph in the new tank. Had you ever done a water change there before. Unlikely it was just a water change. Did you use conditioner?

The adults had been in a separate 1 g tank for a while. I had moved them to keep them away from the fries. I just did a water change on them today but not the 10 gallon with the fries. I was using the gravel cleaner and vacuumed too much water and ended up replacing with completely new water. And I added a conditioner.

The male was fine but kept following. The female zebra danio started hanging vertically in the middle of the tank after the change. And minutes later ramming into the gravel and sides of the tank and then lied on the ground with her fins fluttering pretty bad.

There's a thing called "old tank syndrome " where your fish get slowly acclimated to high levels of nitrate in the water. If you don't change at least 25% monthly or more (not saying you don't) but when a change is done the abrupt change in water chemistry, even to the good, will cause fish to occasionally die

it hasn’t been a month since i last did a water change. i think its the abrupt change in ph. and possibly the metals.

I checked her again and she is bleeding from the gills. Soo maybe it could be ammonia? I just read that ammonia can come from tap water as well. I did notice that her gills were pink at times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom